miles noted on pilot profile

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
karonstewart
Zip Code: 44321
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

miles noted on pilot profile

Post by karonstewart » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:18 am

I noticed that on some of the pilot's profile (when clicking on info on the map) that when the question says "miles to travel one way", there is a 0 (zero). Does that mean they don't fly anymore or that it just depends on who, what, where?

thanks.

Pit$bull

Re: miles noted on pilot profile

Post by Pit$bull » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:05 am

It's possible that the pilots have been lax in completing their profiles, just remember the old saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
PNP cannot police all postings/profiles.
As stated by the disclaimer "Pilots N Paws is only an electronic meeting place for those seeking to make arrangements for rescue flights. Pilots N Paws does not arrange for rescue flights, coordinate transports and/or rescue animals."
Wish I could be of more help.
Good luck with your transports and THANKS for what you are doing.
Regards,
Bob

RickG
Zip Code: 27705
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: 8NC8
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: miles noted on pilot profile

Post by RickG » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:10 am

karonstewart wrote:I noticed that on some of the pilot's profile (when clicking on info on the map) that when the question says "miles to travel one way", there is a 0 (zero). Does that mean they don't fly anymore or that it just depends on who, what, where thanks.
Actually ... Bob's response is not correct. The "miles to travel one way" field is used to trigger automatic emails to pilots when requests are posted within X number of miles of their home base. The good and bad side of this feature is that it can lead to many (many) email messages from the board. To turn this feature off (i.e. to stop receiving the automated emails), pilots have to set the value to "0." So seeing this in their profile does not necessarily mean they are not actively involved with rescue flights. You might look at when they last visited the board or posted a message as another indicator.
Durham, NC (8NC8)
C172E VFR
93 rescue flights ... 347 dogs ... and 53 cats!