DONE!!marathon florida to phila pa or atlantic city nj

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCPK
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: marathon florida to phila pa or atlantic city nj

Post by mchutto » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:23 pm

If I can finish up some maintenance on the plane this weekend, I should be able to do the LBTto CPK leg on 3/7. There's another post wanting to move a bitch and pups out of Wilmington, NC. I don't know if we can figure a way to combine the two, but I'm willing to work on it.

Marty

Tom N.
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: KCDW

Post by Tom N. » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:37 pm

Well, the other post about the dogs out of Wilmington NC indicated that the dog was about 50 lbs with 5 pups. That's beyond the carrying capacity of the 172 I fly---I don't think I could fit a crate that big in the back seat. But another pilot Nick had volunteered to be the back up for the final KCPK to KACY. Don't know what Nick flies, but perhaps if we can consolidate the two transports at KCPK, the two of us could split the load?

Tom

skyking
Zip Code: 33043
Airport identifier: KMTH

Post by skyking » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:21 am

Unless I am mistaken - again, it looks like we have the pilots for this transport.

KMTH - KTLH Jeff
KTLH - KLBT Brandon
KLBT - KCPK Marty
KCPK - KACY Tom

Thanks to all involved!

Jeff

davrob
Zip Code: 27518
Airport identifier: KJNX

Post by davrob » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:11 am

I would be glad to do the Lumberton toCPK leg weather permitting. Dave R

skyking

Post by skyking » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:23 am

Hi Dave & Nick,

Dave - If you would act as back up to Marty for the KLBT - KCPK leg and
Nick - If you would act as back up to Tom for the KCPK - KACY
that would be great!!
There is a 50# Lab with 5 pups that needs to be moved from Wilmington, NC to Philadelphia, PA that it appears that Tom was trying to help. His post expressed some concerns about the crate size/weight. If Dave & Nick could coordinate and go primary on that transport and back up on this one, weather permitting, we might move a few pups.

Thanks to All involved,

Jeff
[email protected]
305-797-6356

Tom N.

Post by Tom N. » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:51 am

I was following up on Marty's post that mentioned the 50lb lab and 5 pups. Carrying both the 50lb lab and the original 30lb pup would be impossible on my C172, so if we are going to try to coordinate and do both, we would definitely need a second pilot for the KCPK to KACY/KPNE leg, at least. But if Nick is available to help as primary on the 50lb lab, we might be able to consolidate both the two dogs and 5 pups in KCPK on the 7th and get them all up that weekend.

The original post re the lab is: http://pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1158

Best,

Tom

Tom N.

Post by Tom N. » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:39 pm

By the way, the long range forecast for next week up in the mid-atlantic/northeast region is not looking so great, predicting some precipitation (possibly snow) over the weekend. Long range forecasts are what they are, but given the number of pilots involved, how long should I wait to call it?

Should we be trying to arrange for an emergency short term foster in/around Chesapeake just in case? Or should we just start from scratch if the final leg gets scrubbed due to weather?

Best,

Tom

skyking

Post by skyking » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 am

I have talked to Barbara about setting up fosters along the route in the event of weather. She has been working on fosters for the scheduled airports but will have to wing it if the pup has to be dropped off before the intented airports. It is always better to try and get the pup as close as possible to its final destination when possible. That way it requires fewer pilots and coordination to complete the mission.

Jeff

mchutto

Post by mchutto » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:20 am

Looking at the weekend forecast, it appears that CPK is about as far as we can get these guys and we might have to wait until Sunday for the LBT - CPK leg. Of course the Wilmington bitch and litter of five will need to stay put as well. The pups will only get bigger while we wait.

If Saturday opens up a little, I can make the run to LBT and back to CPK. I can probably haul the Wilmington gang if I can coordinate the pickup. It is going to be a weather decision made as close to departure as possible. The last thing I want is to be forced to the ground somewhere in between with all those dogs!

The last time I looked on the map for foster homes around Chesapeake, I didn't see any. That doesn't mean there aren't any, it just means they are not registered on this site. However,if there are none in Chesapeake, we will need ground transportation the rest of the way. The rescuers need to attempt to set that up as a backup plan. There's no way I can overnight the dogs. I would have to get a kennel license from the city.

For now, I guess we wait...

Marty

mchutto

Post by mchutto » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 pm

The Wilmington transport is no longer a factor. So, we are back to the original plan if weather permits.

Marty Hutto