Re: March 14/15 4 ACD Pups SC to CO TRANSPORT FILLED

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
BCACDR

Post by BCACDR » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm with Blue Crush ACD Rescue in NC and we're looking for a flight for 4 Australian Cattle Dog pups as soon as possible. They are 3 months old. They are currently in Conway, SC and need to get to Denver, Colorado. They have been pulled from a kill shelter in Horry County, SC. There are several other people working with us to get these pups to CO. This is my first time being on here as I was referred by a friend. I'm not sure what I need for you guys. I know the guidelines said Rabies shots & a health certificate are recommended. What else do we need & need to do? We can definitely do a ground transport probably part of the way if necessary. We can also just fly them from Conway, SC to Kansas City, MO. There is a ground transport out of Kansas City, MO that can take them to Denver.

One of the pups is in Newnan, Ga but we can get her wherever she needs to be to meet up with the 3 pups in SC.

We're also hoping to do this on March 7th or 8th but we'll re-schedule if we need to. [map:80201-29526]

Please contact me (Martha) at [email protected] if you can help us.
Last edited by BCACDR on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: 4 ACD pups need flight to Denver, CO from Conway, SC

Post by admin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:13 am

Hi and thanks for joining.

You posted under the right section with a New Topic so that is a very good start!

A couple suggestions for you. I would edit your post and put your contact information directly in your message. This makes it much easier for pilots and others to contact you. Most of us are very busy and the easier we can make this for each other the better! If you would rather just use PM on the message board, then be sure to log in so you can receive those PM messages.

Secondly, I would look at the pilot map on our homepage and zoom in on the pilots that are along the route you are requesting. Then contact them privately to see if they are available to help you. Keep in mind that most GA (general aviation) pilots have a limit of 300 nautical miles fly out distance. You can get a rough idea of the distance by just mapping it with google or map quest.

Some areas have more pilots then others but that doesn't mean that the areas with fewer pilots fly less. In fact, many of the pilots in the sparce areas are volunteering over and over again because the need is so great in the southeast. I would chat with pilots, see if you need part of this route covered by ground, and then just start working on it. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that you have to always keep in mind that pilots are controlled by weather. If you have everything scheduled and a surprise front comes through, you need to be flexible and make sure that the animals have a temp foster lined up at each hand off point along your route. There is a foster map on the homepage as well. As a reminder, it is the RESPONSIBILITY of the sending and receiving rescues to investigate any temp foster they choose to ask for help.

Just start working on it, step by step, and hopefully your plan will come together.

Debi

BCACDR

Post by BCACDR » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks for your help Debi, that's given me a good start. I've sent e-mails to a bunch of pilots hoping for some good responses. We've gotten one good one so far but still need more. I've been told 300 nautical are about 365 miles on land. Thanks Ben for setting me straight on that. :)

Hopefully between ground transport & air we'll be able to get those little pups to their new foster home.

Guess I should let you guys know something about Blue Crush ACD Rescue. We are located in Western NC and have been rescuing Australian Cattle Dogs (ACD's) for about 2 years now. Last year we started doing it full-time along with transporting ACD's.

We got on this site by way of a friend who needed me to work on this transport, so I'm looking forward to talking to a lot of different pilots and hopefully we'll be able to help these pups get to Colorado soon. You guys do an amazing job by the way, flying dogs all over the country, and there are many, many rescuers across the country who are extremely grateful to you for what you do.

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Actually if the flight route can be nearly straight the miles involved are substantialy less.

A typical run I make is from Chattanooga TN to Jamestown NY. My flight path is 510 nautical miles (586 Statute iles), but actual driving miles is 750 miles. Unless the pilot legs for the route are really zig zag a lot of distance is shaved because our routes do not curve like the highways and we are always pointed at our destination except for weather or special airspace avoidance.

mboyd

Post by mboyd » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:00 am

Hi Martha,
Given the length of this transport, I would assume this will be a multi-day, multi-leg flight. I'd be happy to do a final leg from around mid Kansas thru to Denver. I'm based at Erie CO so I could ground transport them from there to anywhere in the Denver metro area as well. I'm available most weekends. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

-Mike

BCACDR

Re: March 14/15 4 ACD pups need flight to Den,CO from Conway,SC

Post by BCACDR » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi Guys and thanks for the info. These pups have been moved back to March 14/15 for their trip. If anyone can help with this flight let me know asap. We're working on a ground transport as well. One dog is 40 lbs, female. She's joining the transport in Nashville, TN. Then there are 3 ACD pups. As far as we can tell now the pups are no more than 25lbs. Still working on trying to get exact weights from the shelter. They have their paperwork & their shots. We had to change the dates because we weren't able to fill the ground transport. Is there anything else you need to know?

BCACDR

Re: March 14/15 4 ACD pups need flight to Den,CO from Conway,SC

Post by BCACDR » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:31 pm

I have weights on 3 of the dogs now. One is 29.40, one 40lbs., and 33.60. They forgot to list a weight on one of the pups. I'll get that tomorrow. Is there anyone who can help fly part of the trip? Please contact me if you can @ [email protected].

BCACDR

Post by BCACDR » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:35 am

Thanks to those who offered help I really appreciate it. The transport has been FILLED!! :D It was a pleasure talking with so many pilots.