*Attention all Members, NEW FAQ SECTION*

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
MuttsMom

*Attention all Members, NEW FAQ SECTION*

Post by MuttsMom » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:11 am

I just wanted to add my 2 cents in here :) Any legit rescue and/or transport coordinator is more then willing to answer any questions you have. If they seem defensive, that's a red flag. I peronally will only ask pilots for help when it's dogs going to a 501c rescue. Sometimes there are people who live in CA and want to adopt a dog in NY and ask someone that has set up transports before to set up one for them. Obviously that's your choice if you want to be involved in one, but as much money and time as ya'll donate, my personal feeling is if I want to adopt a dog on the other side of the country, or even 300 miles away, it's my responsibilty to get the dog, whether by driving there or a commercial flight. Hopefully everyone will be honest about it being dogs/cats going to rescue or a new home so you can decide if you want to participate. Thanks for all the help over the last few years I've been involved in setting up rescue flights, and have had the honor of going on several of them myself and what ya'll do is not shy of amazing. You truly are, sky angels!!

jdcpilot

Re: *Attention all Members*

Post by jdcpilot » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:39 am

All,
I agree with Nancy. It is very easy to get scamed to do a free transport. It happened to me twice, now I will only fly for 501c, non-profit. One case, the so called rescue even charged the adopter for transport while PNP(me) did it for free.
Jim Carney
Pilot - PNP
:oops:

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:20 pm

That is horrible and that person/group should be banned from ever posting a request on here, IMO.

Liza007
Zip Code: 02563
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Airport identifier: 2B1
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by Liza007 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Holy cow..
I agree Nancy.

Jim, I hope you reported that person to the admin here!

Poor form indeed.

prowlintheshadows13

Post by prowlintheshadows13 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:57 pm

If it gets a dog or cat out of rescue, foster, or shelter and into a forever home and saves that animal from possible destruction it shouldn't matter. An animal saved is an animal saved. Maybe the person in CA can't afford the trip but can afford to save a life by opening his or her home. Animal lovers are animal lovers.....God bless their hearts and may he bless the hearts of the generous pilots that make that possible.

Liza007

Post by Liza007 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:03 pm

One case, the so called rescue even charged the adopter for transport while PNP(me) did it for free.
Perhaps this is the statement that you missed?

prowlintheshadows13

Post by prowlintheshadows13 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Yes...I agree that that's very wrong and hopefully the person involved received a refund with an apology.

mars1259
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KORH
Distance willing to fly one way: 250

Post by mars1259 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:37 am

I have been used a couple of times by less then stellar people who have posted on here only to find out they are transporting animals for other then the reason we do this....that is why I no longer volunteer to do a transport unless then sending and/or receiving parties unless they are a 501c3 organization. I'm sure there are rescues out there that do not have that status and are on the up and up, but after this happening to me a couple of times I'm afraid that is what I do now.
Joe Marsala
N5689P PA24-180
Based @ KORH, Worcester, MA
[email protected]

Liza007

Post by Liza007 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:09 am

Such a shame!

Very disappointing commentary. I find it inconceivable that there are people out there that do that.

I can tell you that, as a transport coordinator, I screen ALL the rescues that request my assistance. Not all I deal with are 501c3, but I can tell you that all I deal with have been rigorously checked before I put the shout out 'here'

I too was fooled once many moons ago and it will never happen again if I can help it.

Nancy will concur, as she wears a similar hat. I know that she has strict guidelines that she adheres to as well.

Pilots, I have found a love hate relationship with facebook. While it can be a thorn in my side, it has also become a resource for rescues. As such, there isn't much that slips by.. for instance; a pilot here requested my assistance in coordinating a transport to a rescue I had never worked with before.

A quick shout out to rescues via facebook and I have to say, while their paperwork looks good, their references did not pan out (as far as standing by their dogs) so now I have to figure out a politically correct way to say 'I'm sorry, I can't help' (they're a 501c3 btw ~ I'm not implying, just saying)

I am very sorry that some of you have had negative experiences. Please know that I for one am so grateful for all the assistance that you all have given me and continue to give to my dogs in need.

Every pilot that flies is special to me and every dog they take takes a piece of my heart with them. Thank you all so much for what you do for these dogs, for giving them a second chance in a home of their own.

Liz Bondarek
Transport Coordinator

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:58 am

I pretty much only work with certain rescues because I know they will be at the airport on time or before, they know that the when, where and times are the pilots call, not ours, and they are so grateful for the help they get. I tried setting up a transport once as a favor, and that was a disaster, and I won't do that again. I have so much respect and am in aww with all the pilots give of their time, money, up keep of their planes, that I don't ever want one to see my name posting a request and thinking, I'm not working with her. Thanks to all the sky angels that fly these furbabies from kill shelters to rescues, and allow us to save so many more lives then we could without them. I hope everyone has a Happy and Healthy New Year!