Valid requests/needs for transportation?

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
ccameron

Valid requests/needs for transportation?

Post by ccameron » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:40 am

As a new member, how do I know if requests for transportation are still needed/valid? I responded to an older post that I thought I could help with and a response was sent saying the trip was already completed. In a follow up response, the person said they did not know how to delete their post. You may want to consider posting some instructions/rules on this topic so only current/valid requests are still on the board. Just trying to be helpful!

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Valid requests/needs for transportation?

Post by admin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:07 am

Hi Cameron,

I have the request to delete posts in the Guidelines section but thanks to your prompt, I decided to go ahead and make a global announcement so everyone can see how they can edit or delete their own posts. It is easy, you just sign in, open the post you made , look at the option symbols in the upper right hand corner of your post, click on the x for delete and then click on ok when prompted.

You are correct, it is extremely important to keep your own posts updated so that the board does not get cluttered with out of date requests. On the previous board, I spent a good bit of time emailing people privately who had made the request to see if the animal was still in need. Sometimes people were polite and replied, other times I never heard a word so I just deleted them myself.

What would you all think about having a standard procedure of a certain length of time for a request to be posted before the admin goes in and deletes the older ones? One month perhaps? I realize that not everyone remembers to come back to the board and take care of the update and I am happy to do it I would just like some feedback on a time frame for deleting. If it turns out the animal is still in need after a month, then the person making the request can post again.....

Thoughts?

Debi

ccameron

Post by ccameron » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi Debi,

Being a new member, I'm not sure if I can offer any educated opinion on the best way to handle this. I woudn't want to place an unneccesary burden on volunteers to have to re-post if they still need help. I'd be afraid that some poor animals might miss an opportunity if a post fell off the board you know? Based on what I've seen so far, I think the best option is to re-inforce the "delete after complete" idea. Once the animals have been successfully moved, simply delete the post.

Hopefully all the volunteers understand the danger of having "invalid" posts on the board. If a pilot checks a few times and each time the transportation has already been completed they may become frustrated and not check anymore.

Anyhow, just my virgin PNP member thoughts!

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:06 pm

I have been involved with many rescues and many attempts to schedule a rescue, and maybe this is as good a place as any to discuss some of what goes on attempting to coordinate one.

When a pilot is first getting involved with a transport it is important to understand that as a pilot your train of thought is not going to be the same as the folks involved with rescues unless they have been involved in aviation. As a pilot I have learned to make every attempt to precede rescues with some sharing of information. I try to help rescues understand my limitations with respect to the available space, and weight and balance considerations. Range and fuel prices are also discussed. I try to help rescues understand the "big" airport is not necessarily the most convenient for them or for me. I often have to help rescues and shelters understand the animals are not going to board a the terminal building, but through the FBO. I try to look ahead at weather and keep informing the rescues involved how the weather is shaping up and if it may adversely affect our planned date for the flight. I am instrument rated and I will fly almost all the time so my advice to VFR pilots and rescues relying on a VFR pilot to be very understanding of one another's needs and concerns. If as a pilot you have limits on when you can fly make everybody aware of them, and do not feel pressured to fly.

As a pilot I would urge you to understand a planned rescue can fall apart at the last minute for more reasons than can be explained here. Animals get adopted, they get ill, the paperwork from the vet fails to become available, or folks at the receiving end cannot take the animals or the dog ate the homework. Stuff happens.

The best advice for both pilots and rescues is to keep the faith. As pilots and rescues develop relationships, get to know one another, establish lines of communication, and work together each transport requires less and less effort because everybody learns how they need to relate to one another and you not only begin to mesh as a team, but you will also find the FBOs you deal with and even ATC knows you and your needs on the rescue flights.

The most critical part for all to understand is that everybody involved from start to finish must be available via phone. If a pilot cannot communicate with the parties sending and receiving the animals anytime it places a huge burden on the pilot. As a pilot I need to know I have reliable parties who will meet me with the animals as planned, and that at the receiving end I will also be met when I land. I absolutely need to be able to communicate if I should have to land unexpectedly so I can have assistance if needed.