Transport for a heartworm positive dog

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
FlyingLinus

Transport for a heartworm positive dog

Post by FlyingLinus » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 pm

I'm looking for information about transporting a dog that is heartworm positive. Is it possible? I'm desperate and looking for anyone who could just point me in the right direction!

The dog in question is my dog, Linus. I rescued him from the Los Angeles shelter 3 years ago, but last July he was stolen from my dad's backyard in Atlanta (many dogs in the area have been taken as guard dogs), but somehow he must have escaped his captors and been fending for himself- but he was weak and was not moving or making a sound when a couple found him laying beneath a ledge...but he was alive and on New Years Day, after 6 months apart, we were reunited. Heart-breakingly, hours after being reunited with my best friend I had to return to LA with hopes he'd be checked out by a vet and be able to join me. Sadly, he's been through hell and worst of all he's contracted heartworms. We've begun him on the antibotics and his vet says I can fly him about in February before he begins the heartworm treatments...but it doesn't appear that the airlines or ground transport companies will ship him if he's HW+.

I've been told by numerous people that rescue groups often transport dogs who are HW+ and I'm trying to learn how.

I'm willing to pay to transport him, I just don't know how. He's been through so much and he's such a little fighter, but he needs to be back with me. I don't want him to have to go through this awful treatment without me.

I am sorry this is slightly off-topic, but he was a rescue and I'm desperate for any information anyone might have of any company that'd be willing to transport him...

Thanks you so much for any advice you can offer!!

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Transport for a heartworm positive dog

Post by admin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:00 am

I am so very sorry to hear about your rescue dog being stolen and now needing medical care. The problem, as you likely know, is that GA to LA is simply too far for any of ourpilots to help you.

You don't say "how heavy" heartworm positive Linus is? That can make a difference in how he would tolerate the stress of traveling. It's a long way on a ground transport with a lot of stress involved/ You can search for ground transport groups online BUT please investigate any paid ground transport services very carefully as some are good and others not.

If you can find someone in Atlanta to temporarily foster your dog through whatever treatment choices you make that would be the best, IMO. Or raise funds and find a vet who will board him for you through the treatment process. Your dog needs to stay calm and quiet through treatment. Once he is stable and well with a clean health certificate from the vet you could then fly him commercially (I suggest Continental) to you.

I wish we could do more but the distance is simply too far. Best of luck to you and Linus.

Debi

FlyingLinus

Post by FlyingLinus » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Thank you for the information.

He appears to be in the very early stages of the disease. He's negative for microfilia. Hence, the vet said he is healthy enough to travel before treatment, its just a matter of finding a company that would transport him.

You said some ground companies are better than others....do you know any you'd recommend??

Thanks so much,

Sarah

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by admin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Sarah, that is good news about your pup. I personally do not know of a paid ground transport to recommend to you.

Have you contacted Pet Airways to see what their requirements are? I know they have a "pet lounge" in LA but have not recently checked their other locations? They only fly pets for people and you can find them online.

Debi