*Attention all Members, NEW FAQ SECTION*

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
gypsysoul

Re: *Attention all Members*

Post by gypsysoul » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:28 am

New here and have just read this, also this is my first forum read and post. I am contemplating pulling at least one, possibly two, boxers out of a shelter in Dublin, VA. and bringing them to Cincinnati.
I am not a *Rescue Group* so to speak. I have had two rescues from organized Rescue Groups, one still is with me the other flies above you from the Bridge. And I've adopted my GSD from the local shelter. I am known in the rescue arena. One of those boys needs medical care immediately, he's emaciated and needs to be on high cal food, have a Heartworm test and be tested for internal parasites. I work for a Veterinarian here in the NKY/Cinci area. I am finding that getting off work right after the new year is impossible and I WRITE the schedules. I am torn...I can call down there, pay for the dogs releases, depend on some stranger to take a dog I don't know to a Vet I don't know and let them all run my credit card. OR I can ask Pilots for Paws to help me retrieve the pups from an airport close by, get the one into some serious Vetting and the other home with my two fur kids.
I'm not made of money but by saving alot of money on situations I'm not at all familiar with, I would be willing to sing your praises, make donations and with the clientele we serve at our Vet Clinic, find benefactors and rescues to assist your flight program.
Or, I can contact Boxer rescue, arrange to have all this done as a sponsor, and pay the Adoption fee. It's tit for tat, as I see it. And, no disrespect intended, but these rescues are FULL already. Intake takes time, finding transporters takes time, finding fosters in a local area takes time. If Food is all this emaciated pup needs then cool, he's eating and can wait. But my gut says theres more to it than that. The good folks I spoke with at Animal Control can only do so much.
Just a new view from a newbie personal requester.
I am not requesting transport just yet. And I won't if advised not to by this forum. I'm weighing possibilities.
Thanks, PWolford, The Wolfords Den - Living in Peace with your Dog!

Liza007
Zip Code: 02563
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Airport identifier: 2B1
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by Liza007 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:32 am

OR..
You could contact the Boxer Rescue and offer to foster these two boys.. chances are good that if Boxer Rescue is full, it's because like most all of the rescues.. lack of suitable foster homes.
http://americanboxerrescue.org/

It is also possible that they don't know these 2 are in need. Inboxes are full everyday sadly, and not all get forwarded to the right people.

As rescuers we rely on strangers everyday to pull dogs and keep them from harms way. We rely on 'rescue friendly' vets to look at these animals and offer discounts in fees and boarding. It is only through a network of strangers across the country and a leap of faith, that we can do what we do.... after awhile, some become friends, we laugh together and cry together and they're the first ones we look to for help when a home check is needed or a dog is in danger or sick.. and then of course we find the nitwits too.

I can tell you though,(while I can't speak for all the pilots) I'm sure most all of the pilots will require the dog have some form of vetting (I know I do) and the DOT requires all dogs on interstate transports to have a health certificate (which means the dogs will get shots if they are healthy enough to do so) I personally do not assist intact dogs to private adopters.. foster homes that are working with a rescue that has a strict spay/neuter policy is different.

I hope that the Boxer rescue can help you get these 2 out of harms way. The GOOD news is that Virginia is loaded with rescues of all breeds.. as stated, it is not uncommon for a Pointer Rescue person assist a Boxer Rescue.. mutual respect and necessity.

Good luck with your kids.. and thank you for choosing rescue.
Liz

gypsysoul

Post by gypsysoul » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks for the response Liza007,

Yes, I have contacted Boxer Rescue, 2 in fact. In both cases I have offered to do whatever is needed to assist them in pulling these boys. Both got back to me briefly.
Dianne in Va was looking into thier postings for adoption from the Shelter (Petfinder) but once I gave her that information she has gone silent on me. I am sure it takes
time and that she will contact me when she knows something. Meanwhile the emaciated dog sits without proper vetting. :( Both have recieved thier vaccs from the Animal
Control.
The other rescue, my local Boxer group, (from which I have adopted one dog and another dog from a sister group) sent me a text saying call and lets talk about this.
They were/are hoping I might adopt a dog they already have in foster care. THAT dog is gorgeous and healthy and very happy right where it is!! But the dogs in VA
are calling my name. Lord Knows there are plenty of local dogs that need rescued. For some odd reason, these two have stolen my heart, even after 50 pages of Petfinder
searching for young, male, boxers. Theres TONS of those, and a whole lot closer, trust me.
Anyways, I understand from your post that flying is probably not an option, expecially for the sickly, unneuterd male. I will see what I can do to get him vetted without
my presence, right where he is. Then I will arrange to go and get him on my own. Where theres a will, theres a way.
I will sing your praises to rescue groups and those who rescue from them. :) *Peace*
PWolford, Wolfords Den-Living in Peace with your Dog

fireknight

Post by fireknight » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:02 pm

I am not a rescue, just a private person who happened to fall in love with a few dogs in florida. i'm in connecticut. i know it's asking a lot to help these babies. my problem is that transports charge so much. they want to save animals and get them into new homes but i don't have an extra $200 for that. $200 is a lot of food and vet care for my new babies. even if you deny my request i want to say thank you to all who do this. it's amazing.

dnewton
Zip Code: 57730
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KECS
Distance willing to fly one way: 350

Re: *Attention all Members, NEW FAQ SECTION*

Post by dnewton » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:46 am

We've been flying for PnP almost 2 years and have very positive experiences. However, we have recently learned that, as with anything, there are bad rescuers out there. They can be hoarders, they might sell to research labs or hand them over to those involved with fighting, etc. We thought making sure they were 501c made them safe and found out that isn't always a guarantee either. I would be horrified to think I helped an animal out of one bad situation only to hand him over to another one that could be even worse.

As the pilot, YOU HAVE TO DO SOME RESEARCH!! We've learned a few things - any reputable rescuer will openly give you any information you request, without hesitation - after all, they have nothing to hide. We have become friends with a wonderful rescuer and she will research any rescue place we send to her - that is an awesome resource. Vet checks in the area of the rescue organization are very reliable.

Yes, it takes time, but you'll end up with a group of rescue organizations that you trust and they will keep you busy - we have a lot of repeat customers and it works well. I can't imagine there are any pilots out there that want to hand an animal over to a hoarder, lab or fight ring... it's worth the effort to be sure. You are one of the advocates for that animal! I do believe that most rescuers are here for the good of the animals - but we have to still be aware and do our part.

I wish this information would get out to new PnP pilots - we were a bit blind for awhile and I can only pray we didn't hand a dog over to a bad place... that would break my heart!

diane newton
Diane Newton
Saratoga N389BW
We have the room to take larger dogs.
We can travel as far as 350 miles (one way) from our airport in Newcastle, Wyoming (KECS) for transports.

amgpr

Post by amgpr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 pm

This is disheartening to say the least. I am new here and a small rescue (for guinea pigs). I do not have 501c3 status (that is a goal this year) but I can assure you, I am legit and would never ask for help if it wasn't needed. I hate it that a few bad apples spoil it for the ones that are really trying to do good work. Thank you to all the pilots helping out.

Sharon Hutchins

Post by Sharon Hutchins » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:17 pm

In lieu of the comments regarding people taking advantage of this remarkable service, I had to chime in for those people like myself that are not 501 c's. I just became privy to your service via a special retired military pilot that is personal friends with one of your own. I am in a desperate situation regarding a dog I have adopted in Alabama. I live in southwest Oklahoma. I am retired and unable to make the trip to retrieve my fur baby and need some assistance after April 5th. Please don't label or discriminate against all of us as potential scammers, merely wanting to take advantage of your overwhelming generosity. I am not affiliated with any non profit organization, but work on behalf of animals every, single day. I have also taken in over 50 dogs and 20 cats over the past 20 years that remain with me until their deaths. This is the first time in all these years that I have been able to make the choice as to what dog I bring home, as the one's that I have loved and nurtured were abandoned on my property by very cruel, unethical owners. I don't regret having saved the life of any of my adoptees, but you have no idea how wonderful it is to look into the eyes of a dog and decide that this is one that I cannot wait to share my life with and welcome with open arms without any reservations, whatsoever! The freedom to choose is awesome! It was never a plan to find one, but it happened, nonetheless. As I am retired, I have the deepest respect for your kindness, generosity and motivation to be of service to both man and animal alike. I am in awe of your efforts and realize you have to be very dedicated in order to offer your services without charge. I am most appreciative of the opportunity and would never do anything that would be detrimental to the service you provide. It is unfortunate that there will always be those that will take advantage of good, loving people, but I am not one of them. I like to think and believe that the majority of us are sincere and legitimate, all sharing in the love for animals and their welfare.

Very Sincerely,
Sharon Hutchins
Lawton, OK

dnewton

Post by dnewton » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:40 pm

I am so happy to know what you do to help animals! Thank you so much! You are also appreciated!!

There are "good and bad" folks in all walks of life. I think this was just an "awareness" topic. We flew for PnP for well over a year before we even got an inkling that someone might be receiving dogs for less than honorable reasons - that honestly never crossed my mind. I would hate to think that we ever took a dog from one bad situation to another one! In fact, for a few weeks we actually thought we might have done just that and I couldn't sleep - it just made me sick! Thank goodness we found out that all was well and the dog was with a reputable rescue group. It just doesn't hurt to be careful, realize that scammers are out there and do some checking - I am sure you would understand if someone wanted to talk to your vet to be sure things were good to go - and even happy to know that even the transporters care enough to check first - that is a plus!

I know it sounds silly - most dogs are with us for 3 hours at the most, but I get attached to them in that small amount of time. I make yearly photo albums of every dog we've transported that year and I look at the books often. So, it really does matter where they are going and I am going to do my part in making sure it is a good place.

Have you posted your need on the Ride Board section of the PnP website? That would get the most "eyes" and hopefully things will work out and you will be united with your dog soon!

Diane
Diane Newton
Saratoga N389BW
We can travel as far as 350 miles (one way) from our airport in Newcastle, Wyoming (KECS) for transports.

Sharon Hutchins

Post by Sharon Hutchins » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Dearest Diane,

It is so nice of you to take the time to write to me regarding my post. I am most grateful, as I want to be taken seriously because this adoption has been a challenge, to say the least. I am just taking it one day at a time and praying all will go well. I would expect and take it for granted that any pilot would do some research before taking on a transport! I would be just like you in worrying about the delivery on the other end. Since I started "sharing posts" on FB, I have been astounded at some of the things that have happened to some of these beautiful creatures. I cannot even imagine the mindset of someone who thinks up some of these ways to abuse a helpless animal. I so want them to have the same fate and that is probably too kind of a punishment! I have been concerned and wondered how I might check out someone doing the transporting for me, whether it be a pilot or otherwise. Abuse rears its ugly head in various degrees and therefore, each of us have our own opinion as to what that entails. My Alli will be spayed right before her trip to me. I have asked that the shelter keep her longer than just a few days, as a trip is stressful under normal circumstances. I don't want to take any chances with my fur baby!!! I am taking it for granted that all of your pilots have a good reputation or they would not be representing such a wonderful organization. I am still in awe that there are pilots willing to do this. That says a great deal about their character. I couldn't be more thrilled. The gentleman that suggested I contact the site is one of the dearest, most precious people that I know and a retired pilot. He knows how much I care for animals and the work that I do on their behalf. It was a real blessing the day he gave me Jim Bordoni's name. Jim, unfortunately, is not located where he can be of help, but he couldn't have been more helpful when I contacted him. I am eager and hopeful for my own pilot and am prepared to someday return the favor with volunteering for PNP. I would absolutely love to be of help to someone in my shoes. How rewarding and a joy in the process! I am fascinated with flying and have been as far back as I can remember. I had a chance to fly a short stint to Catalina Island on a visit to CA several years ago in a small aircraft. I just had the most wonderful time. Gosh, it was thrilling! It just didn't last long enough! Thank you again for contacting me. I have enjoyed this exchange!

Most Sincerely,
Sharon Hutchins

dnewton

Post by dnewton » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:07 pm

You make a good point! You should feel free to ask transporters for references, too! That seems only fair! I am like you - I can't imagine anyone putting these animals in harm's way, especially after putting in the effort, time and expense of transporting, but ugliness does rear its head up in all areas. You have every right to ask for a reference and if someone is insulted by that, then that would pt a red flag up for me!

We live on the north end of Houston, TX. If your transport came this way for any reason, perhaps we could help with a leg. And, yes, I am willing to give you references! :)

Diane
Diane Newton
Saratoga N389BW