Quick question--can pilots only transport an animal?

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
Polarity

Quick question--can pilots only transport an animal?

Post by Polarity » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:49 pm

I know this is an odd question for this forum, but can pilots only transport animals? I thought that I would be able to drive to pick up my rescue from her shelter, but my hubby decided that he does not want me driving from California to Colorado since it'd be a 3,000 mile round trip on the roads. I have to meet my dog and see if she'll open up to me before transport. Would the adoptee be able to hitch a return ride with the rescue animal, or is that too much like asking for a free ride home? Please don't criticize me for asking, I just want to know if that's even an option.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Quick question--can pilots only transport an animal?

Post by admin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Polarity wrote:I know this is an odd question for this forum, but can pilots only transport animals? I thought that I would be able to drive to pick up my rescue from her shelter, but my hubby decided that he does not want me driving from California to Colorado since it'd be a 3,000 mile round trip on the roads. I have to meet my dog and see if she'll open up to me before transport. Would the adoptee be able to hitch a return ride with the rescue animal, or is that too much like asking for a free ride home? Please don't criticize me for asking, I just want to know if that's even an option.
Hi there,

Pilots N Paws is for transporting rescue animals in need. 1500 miles is also further then our pilots are able to travel. My suggestion would be for you to look for a low cost commercial airline flight. Make sure your return flight is the size of plane that can accomodate the size dog you may be traveling with. Continental normally does well with these transports and you would be on board to make certain the crew knew about their special passenger. On the homepage of our website we have an article written by a commercial pilot with guidelines for people to use when flying their pets commercially, it's under "Resources". We hope this all works out for you and no one here will ever criticize anyone for asking a question, it's the only way you find the answer.

Debi

Polarity

Re: Quick question--can pilots only transport an animal?

Post by Polarity » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks so much for your response! I'll definitely have a look at that right now.