New to PNP

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

New to PNP

Postby vance17 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:43 pm

So my cousin knowing I am pilot talked me into signing up. I have always been a an owner of rescue dogs since the seventies! They do make the the best dogs! My current is a black lab rescued from Katrina. He was two days from being euthanized weighed 67lbs. and had heart worms. Today he is 110 lbs. loves going to the beach with us every weekend and as the vet puts it he is thriving! I don't miss many meals either! HA Anyway I have been flying since 1994 have a 172 and am willing to share the joy. I have signed up so do I just wait for an email or how does this work?
vance17

Re: New to PNP

Postby admin on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:49 am

Hi Vance and welcome to Pilots N Paws! So many of our volunteers have rescue dogs, some have even adopted their passengers so be forewarned :-)

During your registration process you had the option of listing the number of miles willing to fly in one direction. If you completed that, entered your zip code were asked and your airport identifier then you will be receiving automated messages from our forum. Check your junk or spam mail as you might have to whitelist the address. These notices are sent to you with a link in the message that basically says, to "view this transport request click here". You can then read the request and if you can help by even flying one leg of the transport you will answer on the forum. Most of the time, once this conversation between rescues and pilots gets started, you can choose to exchange email addy's and discuss it off the board. You can also log in and check the Ride Board, normally around 10 pages of requests encompassing a 30 day window, and scan for locations close to you. One other option is on our homepage, pilotsnpaws.org under Pilot Tools you can enter your airport ID and choose the distance, hit submit, and it will bring up all the requests that you might be able to partipate in that are current.

It's important to read the FAQ sections at the top right of every page on the forum board. One is aimed for pilots and the other for rescues. Reading both will give you better insight into what is expected. Most of the time pilots need to teach rescues about general aviation, i.e. can only fly with decent weather, etc. and rescues need to teach pilots about the animals they are helping. Hopefully, all goes smoothly but we are always available for questions as well. Most pilots find these flights extremely rewarding, just a feel good contribution. You can also keep track of your flights and claim part of your flight expenses as a donation at the end of the year via our 501c3 status. Just make sure the flights you make are posted to the forum board and replied to there. Ask the rescues to make sure they do that for you.

Lastly, if you need crates and harnesses for transport, send an email to pilotsnpaws@gmail.com Petmate is one of our sponsors and they donate crates, etc. to us for pilots to use. Happy to ship them out to you.

Thanks again, and happy flying!
Debi
admin
Site Admin

Re: New to PNP

Postby vance17 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks I will be looking.
vance17

Return to "Pilot Talk"