Question about fuel costs and not for profit write offs

The purpose of this forum is NOT to post or coordinate transports but to mentor those who would like to learn how to utilize the "Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport" features. Volunteer mentors will do their best to answer your questions and share their knowledge and experience.

Question about fuel costs and not for profit write offs

Postby Tikis_mom on Sun May 13, 2012 8:47 pm

I had asked a pilot for help with rescue transport the person mentioned they would need $500 to cover the cost for the gas of their plane per their e mail

"I would be happy to help but would need help with gas. My aircraft costs about 100 dollars an hour to operate and would take about 5 hours round trip to fly from my home base of FL to atlanta and return. The aircraft is a four seater so I could carry two or three dogs up front and maybe one in the luggage compartment if they are in small kennels."

Now I have coordinated flights with PNP pilots in the past (6) and never has a pilot asked for gas $ or taken it even when offered and I know transportation is a form of a tax donation and a write off as a 501 3c if you transport in a plane. I don't know if this pilot is new and has never done a rescue mission or with PNP or is this considered double dipping? I did get their e mail contact off the forums.

Any feedback is appreciated. If this is legit I am okay with this if not then who do I notify?
Tikis_mom

Re: Question about fuel costs and not for profit write offs

Postby deeogee1 on Sun May 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Tikis_mom,
Thank you for the question. I have brought it to the attention of the Administration to handle. There should not be any money requested for a PNP flight.

Joanne
deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Re: Question about fuel costs and not for profit write offs

Postby Tikis_mom on Sun May 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Joanne-

Thank you for the reply, I also sent the question on to the admin. I am trying to help a very high kill shelter in the SE with the process of how PNP works and how it can helpfully decrease their animals being euthanized. They are excited to try it. I have coordinated rescues with PNP before and I have never had a pilot ask for gas money. I thought that was fishy but I thought hey I may be wrong. There is no rescue or shelter who could afford that.The admin and I are working on this and educating the pilot who is new to PNP. Thanks for your help.
Tikis_mom

Return to Rescues, Do You Have a Question about How to Request a Transport? Ask it Here!