Chart Sharing

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Chart Sharing

Postby Mrbusybody on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:27 am

I notice on checking a viable rescue flight that I would need two additional charts for the route, Billings and Cheyenne. Would it be reasonable to establish some sort of chart sharing program? In comparison to the cost of flying, the charts are minor, but everything counts, and it is harder to deduct to chart cost.

Mrbusybody
Mrbusybody

Re: Chart Sharing

Postby artsmonster on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:07 am

Only suggestion I have for you is AOPA has them online for viewing. So does airnav. Maybe you could print them as you need for your route. While I have current charts for the areas I fly, I haven't needed to use them in quite a while. I keep buying them just in case. I use the computer to view charts and map my route, jotting notes on a sticky pad. Then put the sticky note in my knee board. My 396 has maps, as well as the panel mounted one. I haven't needed a chart in flight for over a year, but I do have them as a back up.
artsmonster

Postby arrowman on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:48 am

There is no substitute for a sectional certainly. But from AOPA flight planner, I print out the route map summary with 30-minute waypoints, then the sectional pertinent to the destination airport from AOPA or Skyvector.com (as the previous poster said) noting the terrain for arrival and departure. Also I print out the airport diagram and AFD page (from airnav.com) and review it ahead of time.

FYI I have a Garmin 430 and Garmin 496 with airport diagrams. But I prefer to look at all this before getting into the cockpit, so the Garmin makes more sense during flight and I know what to expect when flying into new airports.

I've tried WAC charts, but they're not the same as sectional...don't have as much detail. And you're paying for it...

If you do buy a sectional, try to volunteer for a sector where you can re-use the charts several times. For me that's the Chicago sectional 90% of the time. The fringe stuff I print out from above sources.

Hope that helps.
Parth R. Srinivasa
Home Base: 3CK (Chicago, IL)
Please check profile for contact info
arrowman

Postby jtarkington2 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:37 pm

I use Air Chart System for my travel. VFR/IFR charts are available. VFR charts cover half of the United States and cost $109.00 for the whole year. They send updates via email and and regular mail. Any way check out their website at: airchart.com

Jim Tarkington
jtarkington2

Return to "Pilot Talk"