FILLED!! Please help Opie,new amputee,get from GA-VA 5/16

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
echo0195

FILLED!! Please help Opie,new amputee,get from GA-VA 5/16

Post by echo0195 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi everyone!

We recently rescued a hound mix puppy named Opie from the high kill shelter in Murray County GA. He was hit by a car and sitting in a kennel in the shelter with no medical help! We raised enough donations to have him picked up and sent to a vet where he was given pain meds and xrays. After reviewing the xrays, the vet, and 2 others we asked opinions of, thought it best to amputate his leg. This procedure will be done today (4/27/09). He will then spend the next two days at the vets office to be monitored. After that, he will be sent to a foster where he will stay for 1-2 weeks to recooperate. We are thinking it would be best to fly him to NJ as that will be the least stressful for him. If you can help us, please email me at [email protected]. My rescue website is http://www.thelastresortrescue.com. Thanks all!!!

Samantha
Last edited by echo0195 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jksimmer
Zip Code: 28075
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: 28A
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Please help Opie, new amputee, get from GA to NJ

Post by jksimmer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:37 pm

I can pick in GA and take to VA if someone can go the rest of the way.

mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Foster?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCPK

Re: Please help Opie,new amputee,get from GA-NJ (Flexible Time)

Post by mchutto » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:08 am

I can take him from VA to NJ if we can do the trip on a weekend. I'm based at CPK. Where in NJ is his new home?

Marty Hutto

jksimmer

Post by jksimmer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:22 pm

I forgot to ask how much he weighs and what size crate he was in. I'm trying to see if we can double up with some other pups from the GA/SC area that are headed north.

flypiper

Post by flypiper » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:59 am

I can take him from Southern NJ to NNJ--I think 4N1 would be the closest airport for him.
Linda

flypiper

Post by flypiper » Sun May 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Doubling up our transports with other rescues seems expedient....but can have a terrible cost and should never be done.....if one set of pups has been exposed to something, then everyone on the transport will be exposed.

I have seen this happen with ground transport--which is why rescues RARELY do this...only in an emergency.

I won't do that, guys, sorry.....

Even if everyone has a health certificate, I have had two really bad experiences with ground transport and dogs breaking later with something.....

So, if you are planning on putting Opie with another set of dogs, please let me know. Sorry.....

jksimmer

Post by jksimmer » Sun May 03, 2009 4:33 pm

That's something I hadn't considered. I will make sure I provide the option to folks for a dedicated flight. I'm generally finding the multiples difficult to coordinate anyway. I'll be glad to take Opie on a dedicated flight for my leg of the trip.

At the moment, the storm system has most flights grounded. I attempted a pickup in Atalanta yesterday and had to turn around halfway there.

rbennett

Post by rbennett » Sun May 03, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm a student pilot who is trying to build time and can assist on this transfer as co-pilot. I am available on the weekends and certain weekdays, but I would need some advance notice because I live in the Middle TN area. If it would be possible for me to come please contact me- [email protected],
Thank you.

jksimmer

Post by jksimmer » Sun May 03, 2009 11:26 pm

Looks like I'm doing a transport into Atalanta either the weekend of the 8th or 16th depending upon weather. If you believe he will be well enough for travel by then let me know. I can also foster him for a short while at Charlotte while awaiting transport arrangements to NJ.

echo0195

Post by echo0195 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Hi everyone!

Sorry, i have been away from the computer for a few days. Thanks so much for all the offers! The foster is close to Chatsworth, GA. Let me know a time that is good for everyone and i will see if thats good for the foster. Im sure a weekend is perfect, it is for us! This wearms my heart thinking of everyone out there wanting to help Opie. My personal email is [email protected]. Thanks again everyone!

Samantha