How young is too young to fly?

Guidelines and tips from Pilots N Paws members to help with rescue transports.
marisa

How young is too young to fly?

Post by marisa » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 pm

What are the risks involved with transporting babies?

Is there an age limit for safety reasons?
Last edited by marisa on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: How young is too young to fly?

Post by admin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi,

Regarding age limits, it is always best to check with your veterinarian. I have personally been told that it is best not to fly puppies under the age of 3 weeks. Maybe some of the vets who are on our forum board will chime in and give their opinion.

Good question, thanks for asking!

Debi

delmarpuppyrescue

Post by delmarpuppyrescue » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:36 am

We have flown 2-3 week old pups before. They were coming a distance that would have been too hard on them if they had to come by car. The shelter was in dire need - over capacity and the mom and pups were to be PTS that afternoon if we didn't get them out. I don't really like flying dogs that young, but it was that or death and our vet didn't see a problem with it under the circumstances so we did it. I honestly have to say that they came through much better off than the pups that age that we've done ground transport with. They were on a plane for 4.5 hours as opposed to being in a car for 10-12 hours. They arrived cleaner and in better shape because of the shorter time frame. Everyone including Momma adjusted beautifully and are now living the good life in their forever homes.
Hope this helps...
Jessie
Delmar Puppy Rescue

MidABHR
Zip Code: 07882
Foster?: No

Post by MidABHR » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:32 am

I also checked with one of our veterinarians recently because a pregnant basset mix we were to fly on a Sunday delivered on the Friday before the flight. The vet stated as long as the dogs were flying in a pressurized cabin, which they would have been given it was a private plane, they would be fine to fly at about 2 weeks. The key was not to stress out the mother and make sure that the puppies temperatures were maintained since they are not able to regulate their body temerature until about 4 weeks.

We made the decision to keep the dogs in a kennel until they are 4 weeks old for optimal health.

Suzanne Fitch
Mid-Atlantic Basset Hound Rescue

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes

Post by admin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Suzanne,

I agree with you, that waiting until they are 4 weeks old is the optimum. I also uderstand that sometimes this just isn't possible if you need to move young puppies now in order for them to escape being euthanized.

One correction, most small aircraft do not have pressurized cabins. Some do, but the majority do not. However, with pups aboard, pilots may be able to maintain an altitude that will be condusive to good oxygen flow for the pups. Keeping them warm is definitely a priority and following your own vets advice is the safest way to go. Flying young pups is certainly less stressful then a long car transport, we just want to make certain everyone checks with their vet and gets the ok.

Debi

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:17 pm

With any animals, especially those who may be more affected by sudden altitude changes or high altitudes, the pilot is likely to be aware of the physiological needs and all that is required is to limit altitudes and use slow climbs and descents.

As Debi mentioned a pressurized cabin is ideal, but if the aircraft is not pressurized the pilot can still be very careful and I doubt if there will be any issues. I tell air traffic control of the need for slow descents and I have never been refused.

lvpets2002

Post by lvpets2002 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 pm

My question is has or does anyone fly with young or older phisical handicapp babies??

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 am

I assume you mean animals as opposed to humans.

I have flow animals on both ends of the scale. Seniors, very young pups, and handicapped animals. If I have any reason to suspect potential problems I limit my rates of climb and descent and hold my cabin altitude to as low as possible so the animals are not affected.

I have not seen or heard of any ill effects. I suspect if the animals are OK for ground transport they are OK for flight as long as the pilot controls altitudes or altitude changes.

lvpets2002

Post by lvpets2002 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Yes that was my main concern is making sure to the pilot controls altitude & or changes.. With CH babies that is a bigg must..
Jon wrote:I assume you mean animals as opposed to humans.

I have flow animals on both ends of the scale. Seniors, very young pups, and handicapped animals. If I have any reason to suspect potential problems I limit my rates of climb and descent and hold my cabin altitude to as low as possible so the animals are not affected.

I have not seen or heard of any ill effects. I suspect if the animals are OK for ground transport they are OK for flight as long as the pilot controls altitudes or altitude changes.

Hawkhorn

Post by Hawkhorn » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Small aircraft pilots should not get too concerned over the pressurization issue. You guys flying the pressurized ships, please confirm this. Pressurization usually only brings the atmosphere back to the equivalent of 5000-7000 MSL. Most small aircraft flyers stay in those levels anyway. Keep the climb and descent rate reasonable and the cabin temperature comfortable and all should be well. Let your vet's opinion rule the day.