HEALTH CERTIFICATES (Info. Needed Quickly)

Guidelines and tips from Pilots N Paws members to help with rescue transports.
bgyorgy

HEALTH CERTIFICATES (Info. Needed Quickly)

Post by bgyorgy » Sat May 09, 2009 9:35 am

I'm assuming that every animal traveling on inter-state flights MUST have a health certificate - correct?

If so, what information does the certificate require? Is there a charge from the vet or from the flight's originating state?

Any other info. I need?

Thank you so much.

Beth Gyorgy

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: HEALTH CERTIFICATES (Info. Needed Quickly)

Post by admin » Sat May 09, 2009 9:43 am

Beth, yes, we suggest that you look at the government rules for each state fro travel requirements from state to state.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export ... ates.shtml

Licensed Veterinarians are the only ones who can issue a health certificate and it is up to the sending and or receiving rescue or shelter to make certain one is provided.

Debi

bgyorgy

Post by bgyorgy » Sat May 09, 2009 11:04 am

Debi, The dog's coming from NC whose site says nothing about dogs being "exported" to another state. I read this as the arrival state (OH) is the one where a health certif. will be needed. Does this make sense?

Thank you,

Beth Gyorgy

bgyorgy

Post by bgyorgy » Sat May 09, 2009 11:10 am

Debi, Another 2 questions, please. From your experience:

1. Do these certificates cost anything (beyond, say, a charge for a vet office visit)?

2. Does a certificate obtained from a vet in the animal's orginating state be used in the arrival state?

Thank you,

Beth

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 09, 2009 7:16 pm

bgyorgy wrote:Debi, Another 2 questions, please. From your experience:

1. Do these certificates cost anything (beyond, say, a charge for a vet office visit)?

2. Does a certificate obtained from a vet in the animal's orginating state be used in the arrival state?

Thank you,
Beth
Beth, in my experience every vet charges a fee for the health certificate. On average, most health certificates are in the 20.00 range depending upon the vet. Most health certificates are good for 30 days from the date of issue. I would venture to guess that proof of rabies is needed in most states in order to obtain a health certificate. But again, each state requirement can be different. Animals under 4-6 months of age may be exempt from a rabies requirement but again, this may vary.

The state of origin (sending) health certificate is normally accepted in other states. Having said that, there may be a few states who have additional requirements. Your receiving rescues should have the answers for you if you cannot find the exact information in the government link.

Remember, I am only speaking from my experience, this is my no means to be taken as gospel :-)

Debi

sspainhour

Post by sspainhour » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:22 pm

I thought someone said that most small animals health cert. are only good for 14 days. Maybe this is different for different states? :?:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:27 am

sspainhour wrote:I thought someone said that most small animals health cert. are only good for 14 days. Maybe this is different for different states? :?:
It is my understanding that this varies from state to state. Always check with your own veterinarian to see if they have the information for other states or contact the State Veterinarian for the state your pet will be traveling too. As a general rule, 14 days is what I have normally heard regarding dogs/cats and 30 days is for equine. Some states do not even require a health certificate just proof of up to date rabies vaccine. It is up to each person sending or receiving an animal to research the regulations. In most cases, my guess is that a health certificate is definitely good for the length of travel it takes to move any of these animals by air.

Debi

Carrelabs

Post by Carrelabs » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:06 am

Health Certificates are only good for 10 days from issuance as far as the airlines are concerned. They must show proof of rabies or if the animal is too young for a rabies the certificate must state so right on it. You will need the information, such as name, address and phone number for the person receiving the animal. Some of the airlines want an acclimation statement on the health certificate but most of them recently are not asking for that. They just have their own temperature guidelines and will ship if below or above a certain temperature. For example Northwest does not require a health certificate but but will not ship if under 10 degrees or over 85. Of course this information is for shipping on one of the commercial airlines. If you are doing that you can go to each of their websites and they have all the information you need to ship. Hope this helped a little and good luck! Margie of CARRE

Joe Surowiec

Post by Joe Surowiec » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi Debi

HELP.

I am moving 9 puppies from Alabama to the SPCA in Lakeland Florida on Monday. Do they need any certificates to travel in my plane?

Joe Surowiec
973-768-2800

Mistnstone

Post by Mistnstone » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 pm

So, I have 9 puppies in Nashville, TN I need to get to Pittsburgh, Pa asap, that are in a bad situation. Their owner, who let her dogs come together has abandoned the pups to her back yard. She has made statements such as "I don't care what happens to them, I just want them gone, now"

They are 11 weeks old, seem in ok health, if not a little thin, are too young for a rabies vaccination, and need their first shots, which we planned to give here, as we get a huge discount doing it ourselves. They are in imminent danger if left outside with no food or care for much longer, and I can not find anyone who can foster them for a few days for us.

We have even tried getting ground transport... Do I really need to get them health Crts in this situation when I cant even find someone that can hold them, let alone take them to a vet?

Just not sure what to do here! :\