Senior Shepherd Mix- Lawrenceville, GA to Minneapolis, MN

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
scruelle

Senior Shepherd Mix- Lawrenceville, GA to Minneapolis, MN

Post by scruelle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Number of animals being transported: 1
Breeds, weight, age: Shepherd Mix, 80lbs., 7 yrs.
Health Condition: Recovering from surgery to back left leg and has great loss of hair due to flea allergy.
Heart worm Status: Unknown
Vaccinations: Up to Date, rabies, dhlpp, bordatella
Health Certificate: Will provide
Spay/Neutered: Neutered
Special needs: Needs gentle handling as recovering from surgery to back leg which is splinted.
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties Susan Ruelle
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: Melissa DeWoskin, Minnesota Progressive Animal Welfare Society
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): 770-605-5936 (cell) email: [email protected]
Are you a 501c3: I am not but MNPAWS where he is going is.
Additional Info/situation:
Meet Bogart (Bogie). Bogie was rescued from a high kill shelter on September 13th . He was supposed to go to a foster home while awaiting ground transport to a rescue in Minnesota. The foster sent a friend to pick Bogie up from the shelter and when she got him outside, he panicked and got away from her, slipping his collar. Shelter workers quickly ran after him but it was if he disappeared into thin air. Having just been neutered the day before and suffering from an Upper Repertory Infection , double ear infections, and severe flea allergies, this 7 year old boy was on his own. I blanketed the area with fliers for two miles in the direction he was last seen and drove day after day talking with people to see if they had spotted him….and nothing. On Wednesday, October 3rd I received a call from animal control in a neighboring county that they had found Bogie (he was micro chipped) but he had been shot. He was starved and tried to go after a farmer’s goat. When Bogie would not respond to the man shooing him away, the farmer shot him and called animal control. I went to animal control and the officer helped load Bogie into the back seat of my car as he was unable to walk and was weak from starvation. My poor sweet angel had skin hanging off of him and his ribs and hip bones were sticking out. He was shot in the back right leg and the bullet was still lodged in the leg. I rushed him to the animal hospital where a vet tech helped me carry him in. I left him there as the vet was in surgery. I was called later to be told that Bogie’s femur had been broken in half and there were lots of bone fragments. Bogie would need surgery the following day once he was stabilized. The vet would remove the bullet, the bone fragments and pin the bone and wrap certain areas with surgical wire to hold the bone together and he would have to be splinted. Bogie has a long recovery ahead of him but the rescue he is going to is run by a vet so he will be in good hands once he is released from the hospital here in Georgia. I go and visit my sweet boy everyday and bring him treats and try to get him to go outside but he is afraid to go walk out in the grass except far enough to take care of business. Poor boy, I guess I cannot blame him as the world has become a very scary place for him. Despite all he has been through, he is the most loving boy. I would be forever grateful if you could help me get Bogie safely to the rescue in Minnesota where he can finish his recovery and eventually find his forever home. Sincerely, Susan Ruelle
Attachments
Triple pic.JPG
Sweet Bogie at Animal Care Hospital

xcflyr
Zip Code: 55345
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KFCM
Distance willing to fly one way: 400

Re: Senior Shepherd Mix- Lawrenceville, GA to Minneapolis, M

Post by xcflyr » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 pm

I can fly half way from Minneapolis (Flying Cloud--Eden Prairie)--would have to be on a Saturday or Sunday. xcflyr

scruelle

Post by scruelle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Thank you so much! Plans are in a holding pattern for right now until the vet says he is stable enough to fly. I will certainly keep your information! ~Susan

xcflyr

Post by xcflyr » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Its about 800 miles, half way is in Southern Indiana where I could meet a pilot(s) from GA.
Try to give me some advance notice. Thanks, xcflyr

scruelle

Post by scruelle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Definitely would give you a lot of advanced notice. Anywhere else you fly into besides Indiana so I can tell other pilots? Also, I might try to drive him half way. So generous of you to go so far!! I just brought Bogie home from the animal hospital and it will be at least 4 weeks before he can travel...Thanks and I will be in touch! Susan

xcflyr

Post by xcflyr » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:25 pm

I could meet you or any other pilots from the GA area wherever an exchange area would work out. We are getting into the winter weather cycle which can be a limiting factor for many general aviation aircraft so the greater the distance, the higher the probability of weather playing a factor.Thank you so much for giving this animal another chance--people like you are the true heroes. xcflyr

scruelle

Post by scruelle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:38 pm

It takes a village! This sweet angel could not make it without wonderful people like yourself. I will be in touch! :)