Shar-Pei from El Paso TX to Sugar Land TX

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
NASPR

Shar-Pei from El Paso TX to Sugar Land TX

Post by NASPR » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:54 am

Number of animals being transported:1
Breeds, weight, age:Shar-Pei Male @ 50 lbs
Health Condition:Excellent
Heart worm Status:Negative
Vaccinations:Current
Health Certificate:Will be able to obtain
Spay/Neutered:Yes
Special needs:
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: Kelly Heidtmen, owner
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: Debby Smith, North American Shar-Pei Rescue "NASPR"
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): [email protected]
Are you a 501c3: yes
Additional Info/situation: Owner is suffering with M.S. and no longer able to care for Rusty. We have tried to help her keep him with her as long as possible but her health is deteriorating quickly. We have found a home for him with a previous adopter in Sugar Land and hope to get him here quickly so she can have peace with his placement.
Last edited by NASPR on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

waderoberts
Zip Code: 77546
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KLVJ
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Shar-Pei from El Paso TX to Sugar Land TX

Post by waderoberts » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm set for a mission on Sunday, 10/28, that will have me flying two coonhounds from Houston to Boerne by midday, and one coonhound back. Another passenger would be welcome.

I'm also scheduled to fly a Great Dane Monday morning (10/29) from Cleveland TX to just west of San Antonio. I could fly a second leg back with the Shar-Pei from there/near there to Sugar Land on my way back.

Either of these would be ideal for me, if you can get transport from El Paso.

I might be able to fly on Tuesday (10/30) to San Antonio/Kerrville/Fredericksburg/ that general neck of the woods for a flight back.

Wednesday (10/31) is possible, but way less so.

After that, my aircraft undergoes her annual inspection, and is subject to the whims of my mechanic.

Cheers,
Wade Roberts
N20223
1977 Cessna 177B Cardinal II
Pearland (TX) Regional Airport (KLVJ)
Stephen Wade Roberts
N20223, Cessna 177B Cardinal II
Houston, TX area
cell: 312-806-8928

NASPR

Post by NASPR » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:26 am

Wade thank you so much. My problem leg is getting the dog from El Paso. The owner is really failing and unable to drive him part way towards Sugar Land. The family in Sugar Land is more than willing to drive to San Antonio, Dallas or anywhere within a few hundred miles to get her. It's just too far for them to drive all the way to El Paso. I really appreciate you offering to help but I'm not sure how to get her closer for you. If you or anyone you know might be able to pick up Rusty in El Paso and fly him closer, I'm sure the family would drive up to meet Thank you for trying to help.
Debby Smith
NASPR
http://sharpeirescue.com

waderoberts

Post by waderoberts » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Debby,

I sorely wish I could help, but the required annual for my aircraft is the complicating factor. I can't fly her after Wednesday until she passes the annual, which might take a week or maybe more (my mechanic works full-time for a banner tow outfit and can only work freelance evenings and weekends). It would mean 10-11 flight hours to make the round trip, with a stop for refueling in each direction; without a co-pilot, that would mean a two-day mission, with an overnight in El Paso.

I don't know what to say. If the mission could possibly wait, I'd be willing to fly it as soon as my plane is out of annual. With the temps cooling and most of the summer storms gone, I've been thinking about flying out that way.

Or, I can only suggest the following: Keep the faith. These long-distance missions are difficult to arrange and often take some time. But they do happen. I recently flew a dog from Houston to Grenada MS; she ended up in Connecticut. It took weeks to arrange, and then had to be rearranged when weather forced a delay and a couple of new pilots had to be recruited. But it happened. If the folks in Sugarland are willing to drive to, say, Austin, New Braunfels, San Marcos, San Antonio -- that general Hill Country neck of the woods -- you might think about editing the post/request or deleting it and posting again. Something like "El Paso to Texas Hill Country."? The shorter distance might very well bring some nibbles.

Have you done a pilot search (I think it's under "pilot offers".? I've gotten a number of private messages/requests. I know there are a number of pilots in the Hill Country who take missions to the west.

Best,
Wade
Stephen Wade Roberts
Houston, TX area

wla1951
Zip Code: 87544
Airport identifier: KLAM
Distance willing to fly one way: 300

Post by wla1951 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Dear Debby,
I believe I may be able to help you with this request. I am based out of Los Alamos, NM and am willing to pick the Sharpei up in El Paso and deliver it to San Antonio, TX. However, there are some conditions that will make it easier for me to do the mission. First and most of all there would have to be some one there at San Antonio to deliver the dog to on the day we arrive. Either a volunteer who will foster the dog overnight (according to the PnP website there are a number of these) or until some one can take the dog on the next leg. Second, if at all possible, I would like to make the trip Tuesday 6 Nov or later. It MIGHT be possible to do this as early as Sunday but waiting until Tuesday would be of great benefit to me for personal reasons. Please let me know what your wishes are so we can make this happen.

Cordially,
Walt Atchison
N8849W
Los Alamos, NM (KLAM)

wla1951
Zip Code: 87544
Airport identifier: KLAM
Distance willing to fly one way: 300

Post by wla1951 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:36 pm

It looks like the earliest and best window for me is Tuesday 13 Nov. The tentative plan would be for me to depart Los Alamos (KLAM) at ~9:00 am. That would put me in El Paso at about 11:30 am. Allowing for a stop for lunch and pickup of the Shar-pei would have me departing El Paso at about 1:00 pm. This would put me in San Antonio at about 4:30 pm. If possible it would be a significant cost advantage to me if I was to land at Stinson Municpal Airport about 6 miles south of downtown instead of San Antonio International Airport. It does not change the time of arrival, but may help he get in and out easier as well as say $'s on the fuel costs. Please let me know.

waderoberts

Post by waderoberts » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Debby,

I stopped by to see my mechanic today. Barring any unusual discoveries, he thinks we might have the annual done by late Sunday, or for sure within the next couple of days (he works full time for a banner-tow outfit and can only do freelance work evenings and weekends). I'd want to do a quick test flight before flying any rescues. I'll keep you posted.

I do know of at least one Pilots N Paws pilot who flies out of the San Antonio area. You might try a search for pilots there would could commit to the San Antonio-Sugar Land leg.

Best,
Wade
Stephen Wade Roberts
Houston, TX area

NASPR

Post by NASPR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:00 am

Thanks to Walt and Pilots N Paws the Shar-Pei Rusty is with his new family this evening. Due to Rusty's mom's illness, assisting with the transport was difficult and Pilots N Paws made it possible. Not only did you save Rusty, you saved his mom Kathy as well. Thank you Walt!!!
Debby Smith, President
North American Shar-Pei Rescue "NASPR"
http://sharpeirescue.com