Bald Eagle Transport

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
RaptorsRule

Re: Bald Eagle Transport

Post by RaptorsRule » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 am

Hello Pilots N Paws,

We have finally recieved our USFWS approvals to have the immmature Bald Eagle transferred from Madison, Wisconsin to Southern Maryland. Can any one help us out?

There is a privately owned airport about 30 minutes from our Charles County Public School facility at Nanjemoy Creek Environmental Education Center. It is Maryland Airport and the following link will take you to thier site: http://www.airnav.com/airport/2W5

We are just south of Washington, DC, so note their may be some air restrictions depending on where you will fly.

We are excited tha she will be coming to live in Maryland and the Four Lakes Wildlife Center in Dane County, Wisconsin is anxious to send her because it will open up a needed space for new patients at their center.

Let me know if you can help us out! You may also reach me by phone at 301-743-3526 between the hours of 7:30 am to 3:00 pm Eastern Standard TIme or by e-mail a [email protected].

We are working on finding a place for a pilot to stay it they needed to make it an overnight trip. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Attached is a photo of her in WI. She is the all brown immature eagle on the right.

Naturally,
Mike Callahan
Environmental Education Instructor
Nanjemoy Creek Environmental Education Center
Charles County Public Schools, Maryland
Attachments
Photo in WI, June 2012.docx
Immature Bald Eagle from Madison, WI
(162.11 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

mikegreen
Zip Code: 80204
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KBJC
Distance willing to fly one way: 75

Post by mikegreen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Mike,

The way a trip like this would work, most likely, is that a few (2, possibly 3) pilots would team up to make the trip in multiple legs. A typical flight for most of us is 200-400 miles each way.. So someone from WI would fly from WI to OH, then another pilot would meet them and go to DC, or even split that leg with someone else. Typically you wouldn't have someone fly all the way from DC to WI and back.. just too far for our "little" planes :-)

That said, how does the eagle transport? cage or crate? any special medical needs or temperature control?

regards,

Mike
---
Mike
part time forum, maps, and web server jockey with occasional flying

kevin182
Zip Code: 49456
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: 3GM
Distance willing to fly one way: 225

Post by kevin182 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 am

I'm still interested in flying a leg. I could do a Eastern side of Chicago (Gary or Lansing) to Mid/Eastern OH.

Kevin
616-970-4997

Ribrahim
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by Ribrahim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:39 am

I agree that the Wisconsin to Ohio run would be reasonable, and as I offered during the original posting, I would be happy to fly that leg.

I have some limitation on plane size, but should be able to handle this.

Thanks,

Reed

Katamarino
Zip Code: 77079
Airport identifier: KPJC

Post by Katamarino » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 am

I can fly the leg to DC.

LexiDog
Zip Code: 21146
Foster?: Yes
Airport identifier: W18

Post by LexiDog » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 am

Mike,

I would be willing to complete this entire trip, as previously stated, yet my plane is currently down for avionics upgrades and will not be put back in service until 1/25/2013. If there is a possiblity that the eagle can remain in WI until the weekend of 1/26, this can be done with a single plane in a single day and as minimal amount of stress on the eagle. Please let me know if there is a time limit in which this move needs to happen, and I will see about locating another aircraft to make this move.

Thanks,

Pete
N867SP
W18
IFR
SP, MD
Pete M.
W18
✈️N119PW
☀️VFR/☁️IFR

kts5008
Airport identifier: KFDK
Distance willing to fly one way: 150

Post by kts5008 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Katamarino wrote:I can fly the leg to DC.
If you end up taking this leg and have extra room, think I could tag along? I can help pay for operating costs too.
Kevin S
KFDK

LuckyDogs
Zip Code: 87106
Airport identifier: KAEG

Post by LuckyDogs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Pete,

I agree that this isn't a typical Dog rescue flight. I have worked with raptors in the past and assume this trip will be much more stressful for the bird than it would be for a dog. By making this a one plane flight you will have experts at each end to assist loading and unloading the crate from the plane. I fly a Cessna Turbo 182RG which has ample space (with the rear seat removed) for the very large crate ( 31” H x 27” W x 40” L) that the eagle will be in. However I would also need to remove the co-pilot seat at each end to get the crate into and out of the plane in one piece. (I don't think taking the eagle out of the cage so the cage could be loaded in parts is an option as it is with large dogs....).

Unfortunately I just dropped my plane off at the shop for a new interior and don’t expect it back flying until mid March… I would be glad to do the whole flight in March, but it sounds like your plane will be back by early February.

Regards,
Mike
TR182
Mike Rehberg
Albuquerque NM
TR182

nceec

Post by nceec » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm

This is Paula, director of the center Mike works at. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. Here is the information you will need to make plans. Once it's the details are decided, I can give you additional contact information for the WI end and myself since I will be your contact on the Maryland end.

Flight cage dimensions: 29" high, 40" long, 28 " wide
Wt of cage and eagle: 33 lbs
Zipcode on either end: 53718 (Madison WI) and 20646 (South of Washington DC)
Special instructions:
- noises like radios, etc. kept to a minimum to lessen stress
- blanket or sheet will be provided to keep cage covered
- if delayed overnight, the eagle will stay in the carrier and preferably go w/ the pilot
- no water or food will be necessary for the trip
- USFWS permit will be attached to the carrier

I will check on this post several times a day to answer any questions addressed to me. I'm happy to say that this bird is ready to fly to Maryland!
~Paula

nceec

Post by nceec » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Pete,

Will you up and running next weekend as stated on your earlier post?

Paula