Need Help for 3rd Leg - Chicago to Green Bay WI Sunday 1/20

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
luvcollies

Need Help for 3rd Leg - Chicago to Green Bay WI Sunday 1/20

Post by luvcollies » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Number of animals being transported: 2
Breeds, weight, age: 1 male collie 65 pounds, 1 female collie 60 pounds
Health Condition: healthy
Heart worm Status: neg
Vaccinations: utd
Health Certificate: yes
Spay/Neutered: yes
Special needs: no
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties Jeffrey Kirkwood
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum):
Are you a 501c3: yes
Additional Info/situation: Owner has very aggressive cancer and wishes to send collies back to rescue they were adopted from to keep them together
Scout and Coco.gif
Scout and Coco
Last edited by luvcollies on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DJK3737T
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KFDK
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: 2 Collies need transport by 1/22 Owner very ill

Post by DJK3737T » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:44 pm

It's possible that I'll be flying a short-haired pointer from Frederick, Maryland to Ohio this weekend. Last time I looked, I think the destination was Youngstown. If that comes together, I'd be happy to take these two along, and could probably extend the trip to take them further west -- to the Cleveland area, say, or Columbus.

That would get them perhaps a third of the way to Green Bay, maybe more. It's a start.

-- David Jack Kenny
[email protected]

DJK3737T

Destinations

Post by DJK3737T » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 pm

After looking at the map, I can see that Toledo would probably be a better choice than Columbus -- maybe even slip across the border into southeastern Michigan.

-- DJK

luvcollies

Post by luvcollies » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi David,
Thank you so much! Do you want to just let me know if the other transport is going to happen?
I have not planned a transport yet but I'll use the mapping features at the top of the post and start contacting Pilots that may be able to fly a second or maybe even third leg.

Thanks again!

Mary

MBaraz
Zip Code: 60173
Foster?: Yes
Airport identifier: 06C

Post by MBaraz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:42 am

Hello, I am going to Columbus, OH, on Saturday and returning to Chicago that evening (departing around 8 p.m. or so). I will not be staying at a dog-friendly place while in Columbus (or Youngstown or Toledo where we could stop on the way back) and we will likely need to find a place that can care for these guys during the interim. We will probably arrive back in Chicago too late for a 3rd leg hand-off, however, we can host overnight if we can find a pilot or driver for the Chicago-Green Bay leg(s).

DJK3737T

Post by DJK3737T » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:04 pm

If the weather permits, I'm willing to make this flight my top priority and add the pointer to the passenger list if that effort also comes together. Unfortunately, this time of year suitable weather generally means high ceilings; I won't undertake much instrument flying in an aircraft without ice protection!

Columbus would work just fine for me -- it's a relatively easy flight, and the O.S.U. airport, which I've used before, is very dog-friendly. However, I wouldn't want to wait there as late as 8:00 p.m., so taking advantage of your offer would require finding (or recruiting) someone locally who could keep an eye on these guys for 3-4 hours.

-- DJK

luvcollies

Post by luvcollies » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Thank you both VERY much! Just to confirm...to make this work I'll need to find someone to keep the collies in Columbus Ohio from approximately 4pm to 8pm on Saturday 1/19 ?

and then update this request to see if someone can do Chicago to Green Bay leg on Sunday morning or find someone in that area to start a ground transport towards Green Bay?

I'm praying that mother nature cooperates!!

Thank you, Thank you!

Mary
Minnesota Wisconsin Collie Rescue

MBaraz
Zip Code: 60173
Foster?: Yes
Airport identifier: 06C

Post by MBaraz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 am

Yes Mary, you have that right... I will make an inquiry about the Columbus layover.
DJK... the progs are looking very promising.
luvcollies wrote:Thank you both VERY much! Just to confirm...to make this work I'll need to find someone to keep the collies in Columbus Ohio from approximately 4pm to 8pm on Saturday 1/19 ?

and then update this request to see if someone can do Chicago to Green Bay leg on Sunday morning or find someone in that area to start a ground transport towards Green Bay?

DJK3737T

Post by DJK3737T » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:38 am

Agreed... I still have to retrieve my airplane, which just completed her annual at another airport about 40 miles away, but prospects look pretty good to get that done tomorrow. I was hoping for today, but it looks as though foul weather is moving in a little too rapidly for comfort.

Will someone be available to transport the collies from Washington to the Frederick airport by around 1:00 - 2:00 on Saturday? It's typically around an hour's drive, but there's no other airport I can fly into that's much closer.

Also, to be on the safe side, if the dog-watcher in Columbus can get out to the airport a little earlier than 4:00, it wouldn't hurt. Odds are at least even that I can get there by 3:30 or so.

If you would, send future communications on this to my personal e-mail account: [email protected]. If you need to reach me on short notice, my phone number at work is (301) 695-2186; I'm typically in the office between about 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.

-- DJK

luvcollies

Post by luvcollies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:13 pm

I've had a few people writing about dog watching in Columbus so I think we'll have that covered. I'll ask that they get to the airport by 3:30pm at the latest.

And yes, there is someone that can get them to the Frederick airport by around 1:00 - 2:00 on Saturday.

Once I have confirmation on who will be bringing them to Frederick and picking them up in Columbus I'll send you an email with their contact info.

MBaraz, thank you for your kind offer to host them overnight. I'm going to edit the subject of this post and try to fill the Chicago to Green Bay leg and we're also trying to arrange a ground transport if we can't find another pilot.

Many thanks,

Mary