OMG...rescuser arrested for whom I've done transport

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
BrianR
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KSYR
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

OMG...rescuser arrested for whom I've done transport

Post by BrianR » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:13 pm

The operator of HEART, in Kirkwood, NY was arrested today and charged with animal cruelty. :(

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Kirkwood ... 86501.html

I did a transport for this woman this summer, bringing her two dogs. Now I feel terrible, wondering what sort of fate was suffered by the animals I brought her. Most likely, I couldn't have foretold that anything was amiss. I checked her listing on Petfinders, she looked legit. http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY474.html

She was set up as a 501(c)(3) organization. Seemed appropriate and caring enough when I met her. The news report said she ran the organization out of her house, and "A number of dogs, cats and other animals were recently removed because conditions at the home caused illness and suffering among the animals. The Sheriff's Office has not said how many animals were in her care."

Can't help but feel that instead of helping these animals, I may have transported them from a bad situation to a worse one. She had told me that one of the dogs had been promptly adopted, soon after I brought them to her. Hope that was the truth. I'm not sure whether there's more I can -- or should -- be doing to verify the legitimacy of groups which are unknown to me. I suspect this may be a situation where she originally had good intentions, but got in over her head. Regardless, doesn't make me feel any better about possibly contributing to animal cruelty.

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No

Re: OMG...rescuser arrested for whom I've done transport

Post by deeogee1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Brian,
Please don't blame yourself. It's not always easy to know when a rescue is a scam. It is the sender's responsibility to check out where they are sending the pets. Many times even when a few people are leery of a group, it takes time to get the proof, and in the meantime it's hard to get others to see that things really are wrong.
Thank you for transporting~~the majority of these are truly helping the animals.

Joanne

peggys

Post by peggys » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:25 am

Brian, please don't blame yourself! Your heart is in the right place. I have been scammed TWICE by people/rescues who are only in it for the money NOT the animals! It makes you very leery but all we can do is check them out to the best of our ability! If not for people like you it would be impossible for some to get to the GOOD homes. Thank you for helping them.
Peggy

Liza007
Zip Code: 02563
Foster?: Yes
Airport identifier: 2B1

Post by Liza007 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:00 am

It saddens me to hear and read of your stories.

I have been blessed to have flown almost 300 dogs through the generosity of the Pilots here and I worry about each one of then as if they are my own. As a transport coordinator, I have strict guidelines in place for rescues requesting my assistance. All of my rescues have been screened. As a matter of fact, 'new' requests get a standard 'form' letter sent to them from me.

Not all rescues, whether 501c3 or not, operate to the standards I have in place and as such, I have refused to assist. Not something I like to do, but I have to be able to sleep at night.

I too had been 'scammed' once.. ONCE and I live with that dogs death everyday. The rescue had also been a 501c3 and they too had had numerous offenses and arrests that I was unaware of at the time.

Which is why I implemented such strict protocols.

I am so sorry for you both, I wish that there was something that I could say or do; I know how you both feel, truly I do. Please also know that there are many folks out there such as myself, looking to change that situation.

We are a relationship based on trust and it pains all of us when that trust has been broken.

Liz Bondarek
Transport Coordinator
(overtired volunteer)

FDR2011
Foster?: Yes

Post by FDR2011 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Brian, I would not beat yourself up over it.

The chances are it was not abuse, just a rescue that got overwhelmed.. This can easily happen when you have hundreds of requests for help a day. Plus I don't fully trust law enforcement when it comes to these matters. Many localities are not rescue friendly and are looking for a excuse to take down people who have good intentions.
Michael Avallone
Furever Dachshund Rescue
(774)420-1744
[email protected]