VERY IMPORTANT suggestion to administrators

Guidelines and tips from Pilots N Paws members to help with rescue transports.
JDK

VERY IMPORTANT suggestion to administrators

Post by JDK » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:36 pm

Just this afternoon, I had to turn down a request to fly five cats from Texas to Ohio.

Reason?

I'm deathly allergic to cats.

I went back over all the profile and relevant information, and didn't see anything for pilots to list in terms of allergies, fear of specific breeds, etc, that might negate our ability to help transport rescue animals in need.

This would be helpful as it would also help eliminate frustration with the rescuers. As another example, I will not fly Chows or Sharpeis. Will not do it. In almost 50 years of dealing with dogs and training them in the military, these two breeds and I have a very dark, unpleasant history. I wish them no ill fortune, but will not handle them or be around them by choice.

This is the kind of information that will help avoid stumbles in the road, hopefully.

Best regards,

Jeff Kinman

richclover

Re: VERY IMPORTANT suggestion to administrators

Post by richclover » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm sure not an administrator, Jeff, but I'd suggest listing your concerns in your profile. Maybe under the
'Interests" heading. At least people could see it listed there. Debi may be able to come up with a more detailed "Profile" page.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by admin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi Jeff ( and good to see you post Rich!)

Presently, we do not have a special feature on the profile page for listing restricitons such as allergies, type of dogs, etc. There is a section when you join where you can post additonal comments or emergency contact numbers but the site administrators are the only ones in a position to view that information for security reasons.

You are welcome to list your personal guidelines for rescues to view under your pilot listing post on the Pilots Volunteering Services Board or you can also list them as a "sticky" announcement under the Animals Needing Transport Board. I cannot guarantee that everyone who is posting a need for transport will read it but at least it will be posted.

This is something we may be able to add in the future so thank you for the suggestion! Please be patient though, we have our hands full right now setting up a section for The Pilots N Paws 5000 .......

Debi

BCGG

Post by BCGG » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Great suggestion though. I am sure this will be a help to have in the future! :D

Gini aka BCGG