Number of animals being transported: 2
Breeds, weight, age: English Mastiff mix, about 70 pounds, 2 years old; Basset Hound, weight unknown, 7 years old
Health Condition: Mastiff is excellent; Basset has an injured leg and needs to get to a vet
Heart worm Status: Unknown; Basset is likely positive, but haven't tested
Vaccinations: None for mastiff (shelter doesn't vaccinate); unknown for Basset
Health Certificate: Not needed - intrastate
Spay/Neutered: No for mastiff (shelter doesn't spay); no for Basset
Special needs: None for mastiff; Basset will need careful handling due to injured leg
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: Paris Animal Control for mastiff; owner release for Basset
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: San Antonio SPCA
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Jerry Dunham, email@example.com
Are you a 501c3: Yes
Louise is a sweet but somewhat shy mastiff mix. She has some of the look of an English Mastiff, but is much smaller. She's being flown from the shelter in Paris, TX, today (thanks, aerodrver!) and will be in Georgetown at a temp foster this evening. We need to keep her moving because the temp foster spot is committed to another dog for long-term foster and we can get that one out of a Louisiana kill shelter until Louise moves on.
Our Basset Hound passenger is a sad case. She was advertised for sale this morning on CraigsList in Temple because her owner no longer wanted her. It seems she fell down the steps when running out of the house and hurt a back leg, so he just wants her gone. We paid the $60 he asked, just to get her out of there. A volunteer is driving her to south Austin as I type this, but we need to get her on to rescue in San Antonio so that she can get to a vet and see how serious the injured leg is.
I'm hoping the weatherman will let us do this Tuesday or Wednesday. The weather on Thursday does not look good, and if we wait until the weekend it will potentially block getting the dogs out of the Louisiana shelter, plus that's too long to wait to get the Basset to our vet and we'll have to find one in south Austin (doable, but likely expensive for rescue).
A limiting factor is that Louise's temp foster works in Austin and has to pick up her kids from after-school care on her way home. She probably can't be to GTU much before 18:30 on Tuesday, and probably not before 19:00 on Wednesday. The Basset will be near AUS, but we can probably find a way to get her to GTU, if necessary. Meeting the two of them at 5C1 late is not a problem.
Thank you for all you do for the homeless animals!