White Shepherd, June 1st, Memphis TN to Lansing MI

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
lustya
Zip Code: 48820
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

White Shepherd, June 1st, Memphis TN to Lansing MI

Post by lustya » Tue May 21, 2013 9:03 am

Transport Date: June 1st or 2nd
1 Dog, White German Shepherd, with Echo Dogs WGSD Rescue (non-profit)
Name: Kobey, male, approx 2 yr old
From Bartlett TN to DeWitt MI (Memphis to Lansing area)
Shots: Up to Date with all Shots
Altered?: Not neutered, will be done once in foster care
Reason for transport: Moved out of shelter to temp foster already, will be going from temp foster to full time foster care in Michigan (with me, Amy Lusty).
Temperament: Fearful dog, but not aggressive. Very unsocialized and needs to be carried for transport. Super sad boy. He is sweet, but just doesn't know what is going on.

This boy was left behind by someone who had too many dogs and then got sick and is no where to be found. My rescue already took 2 others into foster care. One dog can't be found (neighbor said there was another that is unaccounted for). All the dogs ended up in the shelter and my rescue took 2 others already and we are trying to get this boy to me (I'm the foster) because I can take him and give him the time and training he will need to come out of his shell hopefully:) He was filty dirty from the home he was in (hoarder) and the shelter didn't help. He will have a good bath and all his shots before transport, but we are going to wait until I have him to neuter him.

He is a very fearful dog and we are hoping we can minimize the amount of transfers he has. He is in a temporary foster home now (another shepherd rescue) and they are trying to work with him, but to date, he is just afraid. He isn't aggressive at all, so he can be moved without him snapping at all, but he mostly has to be carried to be moved. He won't walk on a leash so far and you have to pick him up to get him out of the crate (which is really likes at the moment:)). He seems to like being carried, but who wouldn't:) So, the less confusion for him the better. So far, he likes the car and is good with travel (the car is like a crate I am guessing and he likes the seclusion). I can drive as far as Ft Wayne IN to get him; I live in the Lansing MI area.

Possible legs but will be flexible depending on pilots:

Leg 1: Memphis to Nashville
Leg 2: Nashville to Louisville
Leg 3: Louisville to Indianapolis
Leg 4: Indianapolis to Angola IN (or Ft Wayne or something drivable from Lansing MI)
Leg 5, ground: Angola IN to Lansing MI (Amy Lusty Drive)

Please email me if you can help! Amy Lusty, [email protected]
or, reply to this post.
Thank you!!
Amy Lusty
http://echodogs.org

RRamin

Re: White Shepherd, June 1st, Memphis TN to Lansing MI

Post by RRamin » Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 am

I could do a leg from MEM to STL or STL to FWA although it would have to be on the 31st or June 2nd
Does he have to be in a crate?

Rick
cell 314-520 0148

Bderby

Post by Bderby » Tue May 21, 2013 5:00 pm

I can do the trip Memphis to Angola.

Brian
317-874-7140

lustya

Post by lustya » Tue May 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Brian-
Are you saying you could fly the entire way? Because that would be so absolutely fabulous! The less this dog has to be transitioned the better:)

Rick-
I will let you know how this will work after I see what other pilots can do. I can do Friday or Sunday as well, just depends on the other pilots.

Thank you all!!!
Amy

Bderby

Post by Bderby » Wed May 22, 2013 6:34 am

Amy, yes, I can pick him up in Memphis and bring him up to Angola or FT Wayne.

lustya

Post by lustya » Wed May 22, 2013 7:15 am

Fabulous! I will call you this evening:)
Thank you!
Amy

paulumbo

Post by paulumbo » Wed May 29, 2013 7:53 am

Has this trip been done? I can do the leg from FWA to LAN on 2 June. Atlantic in FWA is very rescue dog friendly. I can also do a leg from Indianapolis (either Eagle Creek or KIND) to KLAN. Based at Oakland Pontiac and have done several dogs who are shy/fearful. Let me know.

Darin
248-941-9186

lustya

Post by lustya » Wed May 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Darin-
This trip is planned for June 1st, which is this coming Saturday. I would love help getting him all the way to Lansing but i think Brian, the first pilot, would rather fly Saturday verse Sunday. I just emailed him off this forum, but Brian might reply here as well. Are you set with Sunday or could you fly Saturday?

Right now, Brian is going to fly Memphis to Angola, but he is based in Indianapolis, so I'm sure stopping there would help him and have you fly up to me in Lansing. I was going to drive to Angola to pick him up.

I am glad you have experience with the shy/scared ones because he is certainly one of them! The temp foster said he hasn't lashed out at all, but she isn't pushing him either so precautions would be best here.

Thanks!
Amy

paulumbo

Post by paulumbo » Wed May 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Amy,

As the weather is predicted for Saturday, I couldn't do it. I can deal with rain (IFR rated), but I won't go near a thunderstorm. Sunday looks to be a much better day. I can drop off at KLAN or if you'd like to make the drive to my base at KPTK, that's good too. Let me know if he needs to be crated I have several available and seat harness restraints as well. I prefer to let them free fly, however I always have some form of restraint in case of emergency and never fly alone with PnP flights.

Brian,

I have no problem flying to Indy and picking up. Let me know your thoughts.

Darin
248-941-9186
[email protected]

lustya

Post by lustya » Wed May 29, 2013 4:45 pm

I hadn't checked the weather for the weekend yet as it changes but it says thunderstorms for my area as well. Maybe it won't work for Brian either.
We'll see if he can also fly on Sunday.

Pontiac MI is about as far as Angola from me so either way is okay:)
I live in the Lansing area though so that makes for super easy pickup too!

Amy