Urgent transport - Dane mix needs Conroe to Lufkin leg

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
jdunham
Zip Code: 78750
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Urgent transport - Dane mix needs Conroe to Lufkin leg

Post by jdunham » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:02 am

Number of animals being transported: 1
Breeds, weight, age: Great Dane mix, 80 lbs, young adult
Health Condition: Good
Heart worm Status: Unknown
Vaccinations: I need to check
Health Certificate: Intrastate, not needed
Spay/Neutered: Unknown
Special needs: Must not travel with another animals
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: San Antonio Great Dane Rescu
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: Tracy Thornhill
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Jerry Dunham, [email protected], 512-961-8398
Are you a 501c3: Yes
Additional Info/situation:

Friday of last week, one of my transports was a Great Dane, from Houston to San Antonio by ground. The local Great Dane rescue in Houston wouldn't take her because she was so dog aggressive, but we had conflicting reports and wanted to get her to Jo Ellen before the shelter killed her, just to give her a chance. Sometimes dogs (and cats) will act aggressive in the shelter, and then be fine when out.

Our mistake.

She got to San Antonio just fine. Once she got to San Antonio Great Dane Rescue we realized that she isn't just a very small Great Dane, she is a mix, explaining her size. We also found out that she wanted to attack other dogs at random, quite viciously, and that she's an escape artist that can go over a 6-foot fence in a heartbeat. She's living all this week with a muzzle, except at mealtimes and when closed in a crate.

She's turned into a much bigger problem than we expected. We've dealt with dog-aggressive Danes before, but she's so intent upon going after other dogs that we worry that one slip and there will be major damage. Jo Ellen was not able to put her with a Dane foster home for fear of injury to the foster's own dogs, so Lily is with Jo Ellen, who has a very large pack of targets ... er ... dogs.

With Jo Ellen leaving town on Saturday and having a less-experienced dog sitter care for the dogs, it's come down to getting her out quickly or putting her down. I have found a person in Shreveport, LA, who works in Dane and Great Pyr rescue there, and who is willing to take this on. She has a local trainer who wants the challenge of rehabilitating Lily. They understand what we've seen with Lily, and are okay with it.

Now I need to find a way to get Lily to Tracy, who will take ownership and responsibility. Tracy is willing to drive to Longview to meet transport coming her way, so Boerne to Longview is what I'll post on the Ride Board and on Texas Transports (ground). If needed, I have someone in Tyler who could drive Lily to Longview, so if Longview is a step too far we can shoot for Tyler, but I doubt that once you're in the air there's much difference between Tyler and Longview. If Tyler is too far, I can see who can be found to get Lily in Jacksonville, but it's really difficult to find ground transport in that part of the state.

Ideal timing would be Friday, since Jo Ellen leaves on Saturday and is worried about leaving a dangerous situation for the pet sitter. If Saturday works better, morning would be better than evening.

Lily is sorta Lab size, but much thinner and lankier. She's been very friendly with people. She just doesn't like her own kind, and cannot share transport with another animal. I sure wish I knew what in her history has made her that way. Here's her photo on her way to San Antonio:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/whqctp2qlhdupuq/GHJZ0GFcV3

Any suggestions will be entertained. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by jdunham on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound and Foxhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

asiegman
Zip Code: 60477
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: LL10

Re: Very urgent transport needed - Boerne to Longview

Post by asiegman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:53 am

I shot you an email also Jerry, but hopefully you find something for Friday. If not I can fly this Saturday for you.
Alex Siegman
Private Pilot, Instrument Rated
LL10 Naper Aero Club (Naperville, IL) - Flys with BFC

dnewton
Zip Code: 57730
Airport identifier: KECS
Distance willing to fly one way: 350

Post by dnewton » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:10 am

Jerry! We are flying a dog to Boerne on Friday but could only get this one to Conroe. Would that help? We'd need a crate. Leaving Boerne around 10:30 am.

Diane Newton
Diane Newton
Saratoga N389BW
We have the room to take larger dogs.
We can travel as far as 350 miles (one way) from our airport in Newcastle, Wyoming (KECS) for transports.

jdunham

Post by jdunham » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank you for the offer of taking Lily to CXO. I thought we had a more direct flight likely to happen, but the airplane turns out to be unavailable.

Is there anyone who could do a second leg north from CXO? The adopter can come some distance south to shorten your flight, possibly as far south as Lufkin, though that's a bit of a drive for her.

Thanks, Diane!
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

asiegman
Zip Code: 60477
Airport identifier: LL10

Post by asiegman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Updated Jerry via email, but I won't be able to fly this Saturday - plane will still be in MX, they found a cracked case =/
Alex Siegman
Private Pilot, Instrument Rated
LL10 Naper Aero Club (Naperville, IL) - Flys with BFC

jdunham

Post by jdunham » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Looking for CXO to LFK on Friday, starting at 12:30. I'll change the Subject: line.
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

jdunham

Re: Urgent transport - Dane mix needs Conroe to Lufkin leg

Post by jdunham » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:05 am

This was completed on Friday, thanks to David and Diane Newton. They got Lily as far as Conroe, and the adopter drove 200-plus miles each way from Shreveport. Another one safe, thanks to Pilots N Paws!
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue