Crate ideas needed, Grumman Tiger

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Crate ideas needed, Grumman Tiger

Postby ryoung99 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 pm

I am curious how other Grumman owners are transporting.

So far I have done it two ways, with a large soft crate, that takes up the whole back of the plane and with the rear seat and harnesses.

When it is only 1 dog, I have used the soft crate, but this weekend while transporting a Brittany Spaniel, he tore the side and broke out. Since I was flying alone, you can image my concern having a loose animal in the plane. On the end he laid back on the crate and all went well, but I was nervous all the same. Given how the back seat lays down, I am not sure I can get a hard sided crate in the plane.

You experience and thoughts are always appreciated.

Rick
ryoung99

Re: Crate ideas needed, Grumman Tiger

Postby AlexKittenplan on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:39 pm

I've taken the back seats out and have gotten 3 hard sided crates in the back and one smaller one on the copilot seat. If you move the front seats forward it's easier to get the crates in the back. Weight of course makes it harder to manage. I find that I limit my cargo to smaller animals (puppies, etc) that I can fly more of. With the sill to have to lift an animal over, it's hard to manage large animals and the baggage door isn't particularly large. I'd also rather not have a loose animal in the back.

Watch out for heat. I picked up some puppies from a Cirrus pilot on Long Island who brought them up uncrated from North Carolina, they vomitted in the carpetted baggage area of the Cirrus. We hosed the dogs down and I was treated to the odor of wet fur from Long Island to NH.

Grummans are nice but it is a bit of a challenge to load cargo.

Alex Kittenplan
AlexKittenplan

Postby AllisonHunter on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm concerned about the same thing... I haven't done a rescue yet but trying to imagine getting a big dog in through the canopy. I'd prefer to have a co-pilot, so I guess I'm limited to folding the back seats down and using crates.

What about harnesses and tie-downs (for the dogs, I mean) with the plane in the utility category? Just so they don't wander too far aft and give me a CG issue.

Appreciate any guidance.

Allison
KHWO
AllisonHunter

Postby AlexKittenplan on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 pm

The first time I flew a large dog, she was around 50 lbs. Carrying the dog up the wing and over the side into the back seat was enough to convince me that I wouldn't do that again.

I've never tried harnesses but dogs I've flow tend to go to sleep and not move around or bark. Given that dogs chew things and can barf, I'd rather they be enclosed. You can put empty crates in the plane first and then load the dog into the crate. Then you can use the tie down rings if you'd like to secure the crate(s). Puppies and small dogs are easy. Any animal over 35 lbs or so is something else. I've had 11 Lab puppies in the Tiger, 10 in the baggage area with the seat out and 1 in the right seat. All crated.

AllisonHunter wrote:I'm concerned about the same thing... I haven't done a rescue yet but trying to imagine getting a big dog in through the canopy. I'd prefer to have a co-pilot, so I guess I'm limited to folding the back seats down and using crates.

What about harnesses and tie-downs (for the dogs, I mean) with the plane in the utility category? Just so they don't wander too far aft and give me a CG issue.

Appreciate any guidance.

Allison
KHWO
AlexKittenplan

Return to "Pilot Talk"