What happens when the next leg doesnt show?

Guidelines and tips from Pilots N Paws members to help with rescue transports.
Neonblue

What happens when the next leg doesnt show?

Post by Neonblue » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm going to be flying my first mission (hopefully) on this Saturday and had a thought that crossed my mind.

What happens if I arrive and the other pilot is weathered down and can't make it? What do I do with the dog then?

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: What happens when the next leg doesnt show?

Post by admin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:10 am

MOST IMPORTANTLY, you should have everyone's contact information with you. Phone numbers, email addresses, of all parties involved which include sending and receiving groups and their appointed rescue assistants who might be the parties picking up or dropping off the animals.

You should always confirm the night before that the pilot you are connecting with is still planning on meeting you. That being said, things can happen but normally everything runs smoothly.

In multi-leg transports, it is highly recommended that the sending and receiving groups make arranges by using our volunteer map, if necessary, for someone to be available to come to the airport and foster the animals until they can be moved to their destination. We have also had pilots overnight animals themselves and set a different time to fly. There are many options, being as prepared as possible if the best overall plan. We do have on the upper right of each page a volunteer map. You can zoom in to the area you might need and look for volunteers who have offered to help out as well in emergency situations.

Hopefully, all will go as planned but back-up plans are a good idea!

Admin

ChrisG
Zip Code: 21811
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KOXB
Distance willing to fly one way: 300

Re: What happens when the next leg doesnt show?

Post by ChrisG » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:19 pm

I have myself done the following when the connection plane does not show usually due to weather or mechanical breakdowns: 1) hold the animal myself 2) have the local no kill shelter hold the animal 3) fly to the destination myself 4) call other pilots at your airport and the destination to see if they can fly. In one instance, the guy parked next to me in Ocean City, MD asked if I was with PNP. The plane no showed so this guy who was going to Caldwell NJ said he would stop at Rebublic on Long Is. To make the drop! I gave him my huge crate and he brought it back 2-3 months later!
Christopher Galuardi
KOXB/IFR
Ocean City Maryland
PA46
[email protected]
410-375-2450