501c3 APPROVAL GRANTED!!

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: 501c3 APPROVAL GRANTED!!

Post by admin » Sun May 10, 2009 9:51 am

CHANIAM wrote:I would like to thank you ALL and congratulate you on the 501 c 3. I am the coordinator for Fla/Ga for Bearded Collie Rescue and P&P has made two rescue flights for us so far. This has saved us so much time and effort. The dogs travelled well (we provided the crates, food, water, leashes and collars without being asked) and are doing well in their new homes.
Unfortunately the economic status of many (giving up their homes and not finding new lodgins where dogs are allowed) is increasing our quantity of rescues. I can not thank those pilots involved enough for their generosity as well as their charitable care. I am extremely grateful that the pilots may now see some other benefit for the altruism by having a tax deduction.
Once again, THANK YOU for what you are doing.
Chantal Andrew (RN)
Ocala, Fl
Chantal,

Thank you very much for your words of support! I agree, the pilots deserve this benefit--we can never convey to them how much those of us in rescue appreciate what they are doing!

Debi (nurse in my previous life too !)

Eric Bolt

Post by Eric Bolt » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:49 pm

John and Debi,

I am a pilot looking to fly and i have some questions about tax exemption. My father usually pays for my flight expenses, if he pays, can he still get the tax write off even though I am flying?

Thanks

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:20 am

Eric,

That's a question I don't dare answer. As pilots flying under part 91 we are not allowed to accept compensation so my first problem relates to whether the FAA can deem your financial arrangement with your father as compensation. If you said he pays you to wash his car and mow the lawn, and you use that money to pay for your flying I could get past my first concern.

As your financial arrangement now exists however I think you need professional advice from someone qualified in interpreting both the FAA regs and the IRS code to answer your question.

all4dk9s

Post by all4dk9s » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:08 am

Congratulations all -this is such a great program and I am so glad that rescue is progressing so well for our furry friends!
:)
Lisa Miller

~I never met a German Shepherd Dog I did not like~
http://www.freewebs.com/howlingwindsfarm

davidtg

Post by davidtg » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:12 am

Debi, et al --
admin wrote:...
There is also a form on our homepage that you are welcome to print out and use to keep track of your flights.
Do you mean

http://pilotsnpaws.org/flightform.pdf

or another? I see places for lots of signatures and legs, but it is challenging for me to keep the original if it has to continue up the line to the final stop.

BTW, I noticed that you only list tach time on the form. Rentals at least will go by Hobbs (basically wall clock) time, which is always longer than the tach time.

TIA & Happy New Year
[edited to update the form location after the facelift]
Last edited by davidtg on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

traunero
Zip Code: 44883
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: 16G
Distance willing to fly one way: 300

Post by traunero » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:03 pm

The form does NOT continue on with the pets. You keep your original forms with signatures for your records. The other pilots will generate their own forms if they wish to document their flights for tax purposes. So, when you hand off a pet to another pilot, he will sign your form, and you will sign his form.

Rich
Rich Traunero
419-937-3899

davidtg

Post by davidtg » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Rich, et al --
traunero wrote:The form does NOT continue on with the pets. ... The other pilots will generate their own forms
[snip]
Got it! Thanks for the clarification.

HNY

AndrewW

Post by AndrewW » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Just did my first rescue flight, phoenix to riverside ca. My wife came along for the flight, then remembered that her employer will match labor donated to a charity with dollars to that charity. She's finding out details, but it looks like her employer will donate dollars to Pilots N Paws to match the effort we made with the flight. If you work for a larger corporation and are doing these types of flights, check into 501(c)(3) matching and see if we can also raise some dollars for this great group to run the backend while we transport dogs on the front end. Seems like a win-win-win!! Will be in touch once I find out more details, but hoping to be able to get her employer to make a cash contribution due to our efforts and expense yesterday.

Keep up the great work, love this!
-Andrew

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Andrew, Great post and thank you.

JSumeracki

Post by JSumeracki » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Okay, on every website related to charitable flying in the world, I find the same generic tap-dance answers to this issue... Why won't anyone answer this question straight up?

Question: As a private aircraft owner, Part 91, never accepted a penny for any flight, put myself through training and instrument rating, no business owned, planes registered in my name at my home address, etc... What can I deduct per hour?

Basis: To rent the plane I own, (Piper Cherokee Six with advanced IFR avionics, /G, etc), I would be paying about $200 per hour. If I rented, I could deduct that entire amount. Most pilots seem to hint that they can only deduct "out of pocket" such as gas and oil and landing fees. If that were the case, then if I were renting, I could only deduct the fuel portion?

Clarification: I hangar my plane, pay insurance, maintain it, repair it and all these things cost me "out of pocket" even when NOT flying. So, is my charitable deduction based on my TRUE cost per hour, accounting for the TRUE and ENTIRE cost of my plane's FIXED costs (pro-rated into the # of hours flown that year), in ADDITION TO the operational cost? That gets me up to the $180 - $200 range that it would cost me to rent and seems realistic.

Is any pilot here able to answer that without referring me to an aviation accountant?