IFR Flight Plan- REMARKS

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Re: IFR Flight Plan- REMARKS

Postby mchutto on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:13 am

AC 120-26H has been relaced with 120-26J. Since there is another organization doing a similar thing (Animal Rescue Foundation, ARF) we probably need to stick with something like BOW-WOW and not ARF-ARF.
mchutto

Postby PilotChip on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:34 pm

Can we get a pnp administrative member on board with this?
Jason Chipkin | Long Beach, CA (LGB)
Rescue Blog Facebook
PilotChip

Postby admin on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Jason, we are here, just getting caught up! Jon did a rescue flight today with a reporter from an ABC Nashville affiliate station and he will hopefully chime in tomorrow with his perspective as a pilot. I am not familiar enough with the need for a call sign to comment. We also have to keep in mind that dogs are not the only animals we transport.

What are the thoughts from other pilots? Remember Pilots N Paws belongs to ALL of us not just the PNP admins.....

Debi
admin
Site Admin

Postby PilotChip on Fri May 01, 2009 12:12 am

Great, I was just seeing if they were aware of the post.

Angel Flight uses their callsign for material transports as well. I understand maybe it's a bit partial to use the "bow wow" of a dog, but it seems like the majority of flights are doggies.

It will help spark interest and spread the word, for sure.

Maybe we can have a collaboration of callsign ideas here OR start a new thread?
Jason Chipkin | Long Beach, CA (LGB)
Rescue Blog Facebook
PilotChip

Postby Jon on Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm

I will look into getting some form of flight call sign. I posted the pilotsnpaws flight in the remarks section on many of my last flight plans, but yesterday I think I may have stumbled on how to really get attention. This was not to attract attention, but that's what happened.

I was up reasonably high yesterday and I had six pups on board. I think they were all adults over 2 or 3 years of age, but ATC was crowding me towards my destination so I asked for a slow descent because I had animals on board.

That prompted Atlantic Center to ask if they were personal pets so I responded they were rescue animals and that this was a pilots n paws flight. Then it started. The controller said she had five rescue dogs herself, another pilot chimed in and said he had two. The facility manager wanted to know what kind and if they could be adopted.

I think we need more flight activity, but I will start looking into it to see what the FAA criteria is and how to go about the process of getting a special flight call sign. Woof Woof.
Jon

Postby DCat22 on Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 am

I think the call sign is a great idea... "Bow Wow" or otherwise, as long as it is interesting enough to have other people possibly ask what it's about.

(I think some pilot types may "further enjoy" the flights being able to use a callsign, too. :))
DCat22

Postby Jon on Fri May 22, 2009 12:00 pm

Here is a link to the FAA requirements for a special all sign.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/ ... NT/1-4.htm

Since PNP is a bulletin board and does not schedule or coordinate flights we lack hard data about missions flown to support an application.

As can be seen from the publication we need 7 non-seasonal flights to quality. There are other qualifying criteria, but we first have to document we have consistently met the 7 flight requirement. Under the umbrella of ACA (Air Care Alliance) the call sign "Compassion" can be used for all medical flights such as Angel Flight.
Jon

Postby DCat22 on Fri May 22, 2009 5:04 pm

1-4-2. CRITERIA c. Three-letter identifiers are assigned to aircraft operating agencies which operate 7 or more non-seasonal international air operations per week and/or generate the appropriate flight movement messages and other related flight operations over the Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunications Network (AFTN); or, 15 or more non-seasonal domestic commercial round trip air operations per week. Aircraft operating agencies which generate less than the prescribed international and/or domestic flight operations, may be waived as deemed advantageous to the U.S. air traffic control system and operationally appropriate by FAA. Exceptions to the above criteria may be authorized on an individual basis.

I don't think this would qualify as 15 "non-seasonal domestic commercial round trip air operations per week" either...

Not sure exactly what constitutes an exception that has a chance of being approved though. Perhaps something similar to the ACA could be done for all pet/animal rescue related services as a whole, including Pilots N Paws? I think that may be "advantageous to the U.S. air traffic control system".

(I'm just reading and thinking about loud...I don't know much about this.)
DCat22

Postby JERRY S. on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:41 pm

I have found putting Pilot & paws animal rescue flight in the remarks section not only get alot of friendly questions from controllers, alittle priority, & if u ask for it early they are more then happy to give u gentle rate of climbs & decents.
JERRY S.

Previous

Return to "Pilot Talk"