Where are some common locations dogs can be flown from the Philadelphia area?

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
Tulissa
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Where are some common locations dogs can be flown from the Philadelphia area?

Post by Tulissa » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:06 pm

I am working with a few different rescues as a volunteer for a high kill shelter in Philadelphia. We could drive dogs to nearby airports in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland or Delaware if it would help. I am wondering what locations are easier to find flights to, from Philadelphia or the surrounding areas? We would like to branch out and search for non-local fosters, but I would like to be realistic in the locations we are searching and screening fosters.

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Where are some common locations dogs can be flown from the Philadelphia area?

Post by deeogee1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:02 pm

There isn't a list of destinations. Requests are posted for all over. Keep in mind that
Long distance transports are possible but require more coordination than short transports. Private planes do not normally fly across country like commercial jets. Private pilots usually only fly about 300 nautical miles and should not be expected to land and refuel and continue on. There are exceptions, but this is a guideline. Long transports need to be broken down into legs of about 300 miles each. This requires pilots to coordinate their schedules and meet at airports to transport the pet on the next leg. The longer the flight, the more connections needed. You must allow for contingencies such as weather delays or mechanical problems, so you should arrange temporary foster for the animal at each connecting point in case of an unexpected layover. Ground transport or commercial air transport will be better alternatives for many long distance transports.
So to increase the odds of more successful transports, try to keep the distance within a 500-600 mile radius of your starting point.