Pregnant animals

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
jcgardner
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Pregnant animals

Post by jcgardner » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:18 pm

I'm new to the site and was going to try and set up a transport for a young cat at the Desoto Animal Shelter that is pregnant and due in about a week leaving from Northwest Louisiana (near Shreveport) going to a rescue in Indianapolis, Indiana. Is it too close to the due date to try and set this up, or would it be better to wait until the kittens are born then set up the flight soon after? I went to the transport requirements link on your page for the state of Illinois and couldn't find anything saying there was an age requirement for animals going on transport. I think in New Hampshire for example kittens have to be 2 months old and weight 2 pounds per state law to be transported there.

Thank you,
Cora

PawPawsExpress
Zip Code: 75407
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Pregnant animals

Post by PawPawsExpress » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:33 pm

We've been doing ground transport and air transport (domestic and international) since 2014. Since under USDA rules for pet transport, pet should have a vet issued health certificate valid for 10 days before travel, the vet would advise on the health certificate that the animal is pregnant and if it is okay to travel or not. I hope that helps. In my opinion, it may be too close to the due date for her to travel (stress) but I think at the same time you have to weight the pros and cons of where she would deliver her babies and use your best judgement.