First Transport

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
Elaine
Zip Code: 97225
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

First Transport

Post by Elaine » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:37 pm

Is there someone available to walk me through the first transport?

I'm trying to get a 9 wk old hound mix puppy from Monroe, LA to Portland, OR

Individual moved from Oregon to Louisiana; difference between animal services in Oregon and animal services in Louisiana apparently profound. Individual contacted former Vet clinic in Oregon and asked if she could send dogs to Oregon for adoption. The Vet at the clinic she contacted also partners with Oregon rescue, Northwest Animal Companions (NWAC), Vet asked if we could set something up with person in Louisiana who knows their vet clinic staff. NWAC agreed to an initial dog for transport to figure out if it would be possible to set something up with this individual in Monroe, LA to send dogs to NWAC in Oregon for adoption.

Understand health certificate needs to be within ten days of transport. In perfect world, dog would have heartworm and parvo tests in LA and also have Rabies shot. All other services provided by Rescue in Oregon upon dog arrival in Oregon. Should transport be set up before dog is examined for heartworm/parvo and gets rabies? Otherwise, would need to scramble to get transport within the ten days, correct? Does Pilots N Paws fly pony express from LA to OR? Thanks for any assistance/direction. Elaine Hartman, NWAC, [email protected]

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No

Re: First Transport

Post by deeogee1 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Distance that far is best going to be commercial. That would require at least a few legs and fosters given the distance. These pilots fly on average 200~300 miles.
https://www.pilotsnpaws.org/how-to-use-pnp/rescues/

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:32 pm

If a pilot flew from Monroe, LA to Dallas/Ft Worth or from Monroe, LA to New Orleans -- would the pilot load the dog onto a commercial flight or would I need to coordinate with a rescue in either Dallas/FtW or New Orleans to meet the Pilot and then be responsible to get the dog onto a commerical flight? THanks, Elaine

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:24 pm

No, the pilot would not get the dog to the commercial flight. You would be wise to have a foster ready there so you can have the dog there at least one day before the commercial flight. Weather or unforeseen mechanical issues can postpone a PNP flight and you don't want to miss the commercial flight.

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:45 pm

It might be worth while contacting this volunteer viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64072

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:36 am

OK - let me work on getting an overnight foster before I contact the pilot. Thanks for your help. Elaine